Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please help- 50D vs T1i

Hey guys! First off, thanks for the great forums. Good discussions and helpful advice from the topics I've read through so far.

So,I'm tight on money but I need an upgrade from my XT. I'm a serious amateur and I'm between the 50D and T1i. I know, hard to compare the Rebel series to the XXD series, but thats where I'm at right now. I'm set on lenses, so either option would be body only.

The video on the T1i would be cool, but I wouldn't use it often and isn't that big of a deal for me. I've used them both at my local camera store and obviously the feel of the 50D is much better, but I just don't know if I can justify the extra cash for that...

I have read numerous reviews and have heard good and bad about both of them. Also, what about a 40D? I've heard a lot that the 40D can be just as good as the 50D. Perhaps thats a better option- especially since the price iscomparableto the T1i.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of these and any other possiblerecommendations.

So is it 50D, T1i, or 40D. Or maybe even something else?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Re: Please help- 50D vs T1i

Welcome to the forums! I'd go with the 50D. If you decide you don't want to spend the cash, get a 40D. I would put the T1i last, even though its screen is (much) better than the one on the 40D. The 40D/50D ergonimics are much better. BTW, I like the tag "Too many choices". LOL!

Thanks Johan! Appreciate the input and I'll take it into consideration. Idefinitely agree theergonomicsare much better on the 40D and 50D. Yes, the new screen would be nice, but even the 40D screen is a huge step up from the XT!

And haha thanks!

@ Andrew

I've owned the Rebel XTi and the 50D. It was difficult at first getting used to the controls on the 50D, but it's certainly worth suffering through the learning curve. It's a really great camera that shines best with good quality glass attached to it. Make sure you set aside some money to get a really good high-quality all-purpose lens. I made my lens choices based on Bryan's recommendations--the 17-55 f/2.8 IS & the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. The 17-55 stays on my camera most of the time, but the 70-200 is a nice tool to have when you need it. ;-)

You might want to get the 40D and use the extra money to [help] purchase a good lens...

I was faced with the same upgrade decision and did exactly as Sean describes--I got the 40D and applied the difference in price to the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks! If I didn't have the lenses I did now, that sounds like a winning combo and I'd go with something like that. But for now, I'd rather just get a body and keep my current lenses.

Still appreciate the input, though! []

Thanks for the response Sean! I've played around with the 50D at the store and actually started to get the basic controls fairly quick, so that shouldn't be an issue.

As far as lenses go, I think I'm fine. I have the 17-40 f/4L (my fav), 70-200 f/4L, and the 50 f/1.8, as well as the 18-55 kit lens for worst casescenariobackup.

Thanks again for the input,

Andrew

@andrew

Wow, your lens collection looks quite sufficient. Hell, go all out--get the 50D. If you want, check out my flickr photostream to see what the 50D, good glass, and a few flashes can do.

Good question. First, please let me clear up the differences between the two bodies.

In the following ways the 50D is distinguishably better than the T1i:
    • Better ergonomics & built tougher
    • Faster & more comfortable control (once you get used to the dials the 50D is much faster to handle
    • Much better focusing system (all cross type sensors makes a huge difference both in speed and sensitivity!)
    • Faster speed (Solid 6FPS, shorter mirror blackout time, shorter shutter lag)
    • Larger & brighter Viewfinder
    • More durable shutter (100,000 vs 50,000)

The T1i wins in the following two ways as I can see:
    • Potentially better image quality at high ISOs
    • movie mood

I think your choice between these two cameras will still depend on what kind of photography you'd like to do. If you shoot fast sport or you will need the extra weather sealing for using it outdoor, the 50D is certainly recommended. But if you shoot portrait most of the time then the T1i is good for the job. As a 50D owner who once owned the XTi, I feel hard to go back to the Rebel line as I'm not used to the arrow keys anymore. The 50D certainly gives me more confidence to shoot anything anywhere, it feels solid and tough.

The image quality difference is noticeable on the conparisons that Bryan has done, however, at low ISO speeds you will not likely to notice any difference at all. Even at high ISO such amount of difference is hard to see in practice.

The bottom line is that the 50D is overall a more capable camera, I feel it's at a different level than the Rebels. If money allow, the 50D is worth it for an upgrade from the Rebels. Only if the movie mood is not a must - that's certainly something that the 50D cannot do forever...[]

Benjamin,

Thanks for the great response! I do shoot sports and more high-speed action photography more often than portraits, so the frame rate on the 50D is a big plus. I agree with how the 50D makes you feel more confident, it just feels so much better to hold and use.

High ISO with the 50D is a problem, but rarely do I need to use a high ISO. Plus, either camera will be a huge upgrade from the noise on the XT... So I don't think that ISO too much of a problem.

Movie mode isdefinitelynot a need, just a cool add-on to use every now and then. So, besides the movie mode and lower price (and maybe ISO performance), I see no reason to take the T1i over the 50D!

Thanks again for the great response and enjoy your 50D!

-Andrew