Good question. First, please let me clear up the differences between the two bodies.

In the following ways the 50D is distinguishably better than the T1i:
  • Better ergonomics & built tougher
  • Faster & more comfortable control (once you get used to the dials the 50D is much faster to handle
  • Much better focusing system (all cross type sensors makes a huge difference both in speed and sensitivity!)
  • Faster speed (Solid 6FPS, shorter mirror blackout time, shorter shutter lag)
  • Larger & brighter Viewfinder
  • More durable shutter (100,000 vs 50,000)

The T1i wins in the following two ways as I can see:
  • Potentially better image quality at high ISOs
  • movie mood

I think your choice between these two cameras will still depend on what kind of photography you'd like to do. If you shoot fast sport or you will need the extra weather sealing for using it outdoor, the 50D is certainly recommended. But if you shoot portrait most of the time then the T1i is good for the job. As a 50D owner who once owned the XTi, I feel hard to go back to the Rebel line as I'm not used to the arrow keys anymore. The 50D certainly gives me more confidence to shoot anything anywhere, it feels solid and tough.

The image quality difference is noticeable on the conparisons that Bryan has done, however, at low ISO speeds you will not likely to notice any difference at all. Even at high ISO such amount of difference is hard to see in practice.

The bottom line is that the 50D is overall a more capable camera, I feel it's at a different level than the Rebels. If money allow, the 50D is worth it for an upgrade from the Rebels. Only if the movie mood is not a must - that's certainly something that the 50D cannot do forever...[]