Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17-85IS lens creep?

Re: 17-85IS lens creep?

Thanks, Bill. Your points are well taken. We all have personal preferences and things we won't put up with. If you can afford new equipment, you have my blessing to go with God (Canon!). I'm just saying thatimage quality isall that really matters to me. I'm not going to get rid of a great piece of glass because of a (to me) minor annoyance.

Concerning holding your camera with your lefthand always on the lens, that's just the right"ready to shoot" position (thumb on top, fingers cupping under the lens).I almost always re-frame eachshot at least a little.More importantly, you'll get sharper photos because the camerais steadierwhen you hold it this way. Keeping hold of the lens is just practical sense.At least give it a try. It really is comfortable and natural after a while.

As far as I know, mostCanon lenses will not creep if you hold onto thezoom ring.Canon has been inconsistent with zoom-focus ring placement. Lens models with the zoom ringat least somewhataway from the camera bodyarea bit easier touse. If the zoom ring is out in front, I wrap my thumb and index around it. If it's near the body, I use thumb and ring finger.

-John O.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

*Starts custom fabrication of custom lens hood made with section of 4" galvanized plumbing pipe*

*looks forward to his new 50D/17-85*

Colin, would you like me to send it using FedEx or UPS? haha lol

Anyway, I'm with Bill here. You (guys) also forgot another situation - what if one is using their lens on a tripod which is pointed down or up? Should he put his hand on the zoom ring while using a tripod? That would be ridiculous.

Bill - call Canon.

Oren: You got me, there. However, I would counter that in this age of high ISOs and phenomenal image stabilization, who needs a tripod?Peace!

John;

I appreciate your input, but you have diverted the point of my original question in this thread.

I don't have concerns about this lens' IQ, or how to hold the lens, or set up to take sharper photos, etc.....my concern/question is strictly about the creep and getting this lens repaired.

Also, the only blessings I'd need for a purchase of a new lens, would be my wife's [] .....but my 17-85 and 100-400 cover my photographic needs quite nicely.

Regards

Bill

You're right Bill, sorry: Went off on a tangent. Repair pricesvary. If you're going to get your lens repaired, make sure the shop is reputable and stands behind its work. Some shops are way better than others (check them out). You need a firm estimate. Don't pay anything up front.Then it's just a matter of deciding if the cost is worth it to you. If it's L-glass, it might be. Your EF-S might not. If it were me...well, we've been down that road already.