Thread: SD card (8gb) not formatting...

SD card (8gb) not formatting...

Question....

I used this card before and it worked fine. Now all of a sudden i get this message when i try to format the card in the camera (450D)...."cannot format, change card".

Any ideas on what to do?

thanks,

keller

Re: SD card (8gb) not formatting...

I belive the 450D is an EOS Rebel and has a CF (Compact Flash) card. While you should not normallyformat a card on a computer,if it won't format anyway (double check) it won't hurt.The format that is used is FAT (File Allocation Table). If your computer has a card reader, insert the card. Go to windows explorer, find the drive the card is in, right click and select properties. It should show you the format, (or if the card is scrambled, may not see it at all. You should see used and unused spaceand the format used ( FAT, FAT 32 , etc.). Try and format in FAT from list (should be default). I just did one to make sure in an EOS 5D, and took a shot and it worked fine. If it works (card OK) reformat in camera.

JeffersonPoster

PS, I should't have to say this but make sure that you DO NOT FORMAT C!

Thanks Jeff...

Do you pros delete your pictures on the computer or do you delete them from your camera? I know i deleted my pictures form the computer and i was wondering if this caused the problem?

thanks,

Keller

When you format your card in your camera, that will delete your images and insure the format will be correct. I make a folder in Windows Explorer and label it for the event that I shot, then import from W.E. into Photo Shop later. I shoot RAW+small jpeg (so I can see the image in Explorer), then view and select the ones I want to process in P.S.. I will uaually burn images (all) to DVD for backup later after I process the ones I want. That way I have my RAW, small jpeg, and edited full size jpegs backed up. Then I format my CF card in the camera.

JeffersonPoster