Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C&C for this flower shot: Sharp enough?

C&C for this flower shot: Sharp enough?

Your C&Cs are very much welcome. Fire on! Please do give tips and advice to further improve.

A larger view can be seen here: Pink Rose
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: C&C for this flower shot: Sharp enough?

Well, nice bokeh, nice colors and sharp enough for me... great picture all in all.

P.S I don't see any larger version in the link you provided.

I'm a fan

@ Oren: Thank you for the comments. Try this link for the larger view.

@ Rodger: Wow! Thanks for being a fan. You're my first.
    Cheers!
    --

So, it's a technically good photo. The exposure is spot on, the color is nice, and you hit your focus. But I guess the composition doesn't do much for me. I find my eye drawn to the center of the flower where it just kind of stuck. I wish there were more going on. Even different contours in the OOF area might be enough to please me.

I agreed.

If that same rose is still on your kitchen table, try sticking something dark behind it. The composition is OK but it's niether high key or low key. Not that it has to be, but I find that the outer petals which reflect more light back at the camera sort of fade into the background. If the background were much darker, dark green, even black, the whole flower would sit out and could be explored by the viewer. Also, if you have a spray bottle, try spraying a little water on it then get in nice and close and show us that beautiful rose again. In the photo shown here, I'd say it's plenty sharp. For flowers, I dont' think sharpness is as important as good light, contrast and background.

Thanks for sharing your work!!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by asmodai

So, it's a technically good photo. The exposure is spot on, the color is nice, and you hit your focus. But I guess the composition doesn't do much for me. I find my eye drawn to the center of the flower where it just kind of stuck. I wish there were more going on. Even different contours in the OOF area might be enough to please me.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

First of all, thank you for the comments. I'm glad I was able to hit the technicals part as I was focused on it too much. I was trying to somehow prove that my kit lens (18-55) can produce a sharp picture. I had lots of other flower pics that were soft and this one is the sharpest of them all. Due to this, you're right that the viewer is always drawn to the center.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful. This is another step into my journey of improvement in this world of photography.
    Cheers!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

If that same rose is still on your kitchen table, try sticking something dark behind it. The composition is OK but it's niether high key or low key. Not that it has to be, but I find that the outer petals which reflect more light back at the camera sort of fade into the background. If the background were much darker, dark green, even black, the whole flower would sit out and could be explored by the viewer. Also, if you have a spray bottle, try spraying a little water on it then get in nice and close and show us that beautiful rose again. In the photo shown here, I'd say it's plenty sharp. For flowers, I dont' think sharpness is as important as good light, contrast and background.

Oppsss.. I wish that flower was on my kitchen table. []

You're right a dark background could have made the flower to stand out. Thanks for the tips. These will really help me improve.

Cheers!
    --

I think the sharpness is fine. Composition wise, it's a matter of personal preference. Some have recommended a darker background and that is a good suggestion. Here are some additional thoughts for whatever there worth. A deflector or diffuser is alway helpful in shooting flora. It keeps the relected light of the flower more even, and flowers love to have shiny parts that create hot spots. In a shot like this, where the round flower is predominent, typically a 1:1 crop works better when there is a non-contributing background. If more of the stem were visible I'd recommend a vertical orientation. A horizonal orientation rarely seems to work out for me with a single round bloom unless there are lots of angular lines created by the stem and leaves. A touch more contrast and a closer crop would bring out texture of this beautiful bloom more. Your DOF is perfect, but there are a lot of color patches in this shot competing for attention.

All in all, very good effort. You got 2 of the tough parts worked out being the overall sharpness and DOF. Most of everything else, including what I said, is a matter or personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burkett

I think the sharpness is fine. Composition wise, it's a matter of personal preference. Some have recommended a darker background and that is a good suggestion. Here are some additional thoughts for whatever there worth. A deflector or diffuser is alway helpful in shooting flora. It keeps the relected light of the flower more even, and flowers love to have shiny parts that create hot spots. In a shot like this, where the round flower is predominent, typically a 1:1 crop works better when there is a non-contributing background. If more of the stem were visible I'd recommend a vertical orientation. A horizonal orientation rarely seems to work out for me with a single round bloom unless there are lots of angular lines created by the stem and leaves. A touch more contrast and a closer crop would bring out texture of this beautiful bloom more. Your DOF is perfect, but there are a lot of color patches in this shot competing for attention.

All in all, very good effort. You got 2 of the tough parts worked out being the overall sharpness and DOF. Most of everything else, including what I said, is a matter or personal preference.

Thank you Don for all of your input. A new lesson learned for me. Thank you guys for your wonderful thoughts.

Here's another shot of it in a closer and a different angle but the details are more soft. Any thoughts on this one?

SeePink Rose (Closeup)for a larger view

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.81/IMG_5F00_0118.jpg[/img]
    Cheers!
    --