Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Airshows

Re: Shooting Airshows

Nice shots everyone!

Here are a few i took from the Amberly Air Show, which is the last of its type to include the F-111, as we are getting Super Hornets to replace them.

Taken with a 40D, 70-200 f4 IS + 1.4x II Extender

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.06/airshow_2D00_001.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.06/airshow_2D00_002.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.06/airshow_2D00_003.jpg[/img]

looking through these pictures (which are very nice by the way), I realized how much I miss seeing the F-14 at airshows, that was always my favorite. Does anyone else feel this way? I don't even feel the F-22 can replace it.

Tim... I absolutely agree. I miss both the F-14 and the F-4. Both had so much raw power and were rather large planes. They were awesome o witness. I found a static display pic of an F-14 back from 2001, not a quality pic but I had to post it anyway...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.83/F_2D00_14-w-zm.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Tim

looking through these pictures (which are very nice by the way), I realized how much I miss seeing the F-14 at airshows, that was always my favorite. Does anyone else feel this way? I don't even feel the F-22 can replace it.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

The F14 wasthe air superiority fighter. Primarily due to that big awg-9 radar and the GIB. It wasn't as fast or manueverable as th F-15, but it had aim-64 phoenix missles that were fire and forget capable. You couldn't get close enough to it to test its variable geometry wings in a dogfight. It is what I always looked for at airshows. I would dig up some photos but they all pre-date my ability to take a decent photo.

I like the f-18s too, not the same though.

Tom

Actually, the F-22 and the F-14 are my two favorite fighters, though unfortunately of all the fighters I've seen (F-16, F-15, A-10, F/A18, and many older ones), I haven't seen either of them in person yet .

The F-22 looks like a sports car for the air, when you see it, you'll know what it is. As for the Tomcat, you'll probably hear it before it gets anywhere near you unless its haulin tail.

Back to the topic of the thread, when I was at a local airshow, I just used the spray and pray method and hoped something turned out. I came back with some fairly good results. I know what to do for next time, but that was my first airshow with a DSLR and I had no idea what to expect.

although the tomcat's got the best sound in the world, you won't be hearing it, they can't fly anymore at shows.

That bottom picture of the F-18 is fantastic! I can seethe speed. well done!

I have been out of the loop for a while on this I guess. Has the F-14 been retired by the Navy? I know the F-18s have been slowly taking over, but the interceptor role seemed like a misfit for them. I guess the squadron's of Bear bombers and the Mig 25s aren't too much of a threat anymore.

Tom

Here's a few shots of my 40D with 100-400L at the 2008 Thunder over the Empire.This is a killer combo for airshows and will miss it dearly since I've sold both and now have a 5D2.

A few of these were shot with a CPL.

Yes, its been completely out of service for about three years now. The main reason was reliability. they have old technology and crashed too much, even at airshows.