Thread: Lightroom 2 Help

Lightroom 2 Help

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Lightroom2 to edit my raw (DNG) files. I just ran into a major problem. I thought when I edit the DNG files in LR, it would save my meta data automatically?

I recently got a new HDD and wanted to move all my work into that drive, but when I moved it, all my meta data edits are lost...I did this in windows explorer not through LR. Is that the problem? Is there anyway move it without losing my edits?

Another related problem, i'm working on my vacation pics (450 images) and I removed the ones that I already exported to a JPG. When I reimported some, the metadata edits are gone too.

Can someone help me fix these two issues.

Re: Lightroom 2 Help

I have not tried backing up my Lightroom work but now that you mention it I should learn how. I think it is important to remember that Lightroom does not alter the original files. It records changes made to the original file. So backing up your pictures will save the original files but not the modification files. Now I need to learn how to backup the modificaitons.

Go to the Lightroom help pages and do a search. There is one that I found particularly helpfull: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1191969 On the second page the author tells you to go to your File Management preferences andturn on "Automatically write changes into XMP" option. This causes Lightroom to save metadata information such as the Develop settings into the file.

You can set your preferences to write the edits directly to sidecar files (*.xmp) or just do a CTL S (on a PC) to save the edits ...

the way i did it is to move it within light room and you must restart light room because it will show the image in it's original location until you restart LR, that way all the adjustment are kept the way they are. neat little function, and i can't think of any reason why they didn't come up with this at first since most photographer has box full of hard drives.

thanks everyone, im going to do the CTRL+S to have more control over it.