Thread: Sports Shooter Suggestions

Sports Shooter Suggestions

Back in the day I was a full time sports shooter and I had the standard arsenal of 1N bodies, zooms, & super teles. Then came the divorce and all my equiptment dissapeared as did my photo career. Fast forward to 2006. I decided to start shooting again with this new thing called digital. Not having any lenses nor a large wallet, I opted for a Nikon D1h & D1x (still have the D1x), a 80-200 2.8, and a 300 2.8. Since I never used Nikon before I was interested what these "New" bodies would yield. I was impressed with the build and stills, but dissapointed in the AF tracking and the weight of the lenses. I started to really miss my 1N's & "L" glass. So, I wanted to see how well Canon progressed in the new field. I went and purchased a "state of the art" 30d and a 300 f/4. I didn't want to invest in a 1d and big glass just in case the results over the Nikons weren't any better. My testing began and I was thoroughly impressed with the performance by dismayed by the build quality. The lens of course was better both optically and in build quality, which I expected for an "L" lens. The body, however, was built like a plastic model. Sure, it looked good and functioned well, but I was afraid it would shatter if I bumped it. I will say though, that the AF tracking was spot on, the exposure was spot on, and even the built-in flash was flawless! Anyway, I sold off the pair to a friend who shoots for fun and gave the D1h to a family member. Fast forward to 2009. I'm retiring from my day job soon (no, not photography) and want to enter the sports market once again (local stuff) just to occupy my time and bring in some extra income. My Nikon D1x, although excellent for vivid stills, is not even close to doing the job. I know that my selection of "L" glass will always exceed my expectations so I will be staying with Canon and look forward to using the newer IS versions. However, I obviously want something tried and proven with stability, flexability, and dependability. I see the 1d, 1d Mk II, and 1d Mk III. I constantly read complaints about the III, a few about the II, and none about the 1d. After reviewing all the specs and features, I seem to be turning more towards the Mk II. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! And please, no fights between you Nikon and Canon guys.

Re: Sports Shooter Suggestions

I shoot full time corporate, sports, weddings and events. My sports choices will probably mirror what anyone would advise.

I own the XT, XTi, 1D MKII and the 5D MKII. At work, I also have an XT, XTi, XSi and1DsMKIII, so I feel like I know what most of the bodies will provide.

The best sports bodies are the 1DMKIII,1DMKIIN and the 1DMKII. I don't meet many sports pros who have experienced major issues with theAF tracking on the MKIII, but if it concerns you, get the MKIIN. You can find the IINused under$2,000.

The EF400mm f/2.8 L IS USM and the EF300mm f/2.8 L IS USM are both outstanding lenses. I take one or the other to most outdoor events. The EF70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM and the EF24-70mm f/2.8 USM are always on the 2nd and 3rd body on the sidelines.

If you need to do things on the budget, the 1DMKII's are selling for around $1,100 used, have great AF, and produce pretty dang good images. IQ will be plenty good for any use except very big enlargements.

If you need more info, drop me a note.

This image is from the 1DMKII and the EF400mm f/2.8

I have a 30D and it is pretty decent . For sports it will shoot 3fps or 5fps. It is also a crop body (1.6x) that with a 200 2.8L and 1.4 II extender give me 480 mm @ f4, but no IS. I shoot mostly hand held at faster shutter speeds (don't get that blur of the wheels), in Av mode and about a 500 ISO. I shoot mostly motorsports,and I like the detail I get this way. I also have a 5D full frame. Great IQ., 3fps, (I normally onlly shoot 3fps anyway) and it's12.8 mp (large pixels). This with a 300 f4L ISand a 1.4x II extender gives 420mm reach @ f5.6. Not bad in good light. Of course I was at Road Atlanta Sat. and the mirror fell out of the carrier on the 5D(minor detail) but Canon seems willing to fix it. Good thing I have the 30D. I used it Sun. Adorama seems to have some good deals on "Referbished by Canon" or what ever they call it now, on the1D III.They too seem to have problems (oil spots on sensors) The 1Ds is a full frame. The 1D is 1.3x crop. I still like the 5D for the size and feel and IQ and full frame sensor. A 17-40 f4L or 16-35 f2.8L is wide. The 200 2.8L is sharp as a tack and the 300 f4L IS would be great for sports. If you like the 5D, you could use it for backup and get the 1Ds III when Canon's QC gets better. Now, what was it you didn"t like about the Nikon?

JeffersonPoster

I appreciate all your suggestions, thanks. As far as the Nikons...again, I came from shooting full-time motorsports using tried & true Canon 1N bodies are 300-600 "L" lenses (non-IS or course) so I was already partial to Canon (I did use an F5 once..sweet & FAST). I never had ANY tracking issues with the 1N's coupled with any of my big glass. The bodies were tight, clean, versatle, and made good weapons when fending off would be attackers at not so nice venues (I won't mention any names..the Detroit Grand Prix..oops). When I did use the Nikons, I honestly thought the focusing sucked on any moving objects. Then again, maybe I just assumed they would track the same way the Canons did. Oh, did I mention the batteries! As I noted, I still have my D1x and carry it all the time. It's great for stills and I've gotten to know it quite well. Not state of the art, but always amazes me of the great raws I get interpolated to 10mp. As a side note, if I could only get "L" lenses to work on a D3 I would be in photographic heaven! I love Canon lenses!!!

As mentioned in one of my other replies, since I can't use "L" lenses on a D3, it seems as though I will most likely opt for a couple MKII's. And maybe a 30d for backup even if I don't like the plastic. I'm also looking forward to using my favorite lens with IS. My old sports arsenal included 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 200 1.8 (waste of money), 300 2.8, 600 f/4, all "L" glass of course but Non-IS. I havn't used IS yet but do have two VR Nikkors for my D1x and I'm addicted. One other concern is the use of old-technology NiMh batteries in the 1d. My D1x using these and they SUCK! I actually retrofitted a DPS9000 Li-Ion external to up to 1000 shots. So how about the Canon batts?

I shoot a 30D and a 70-200 2.8 for softball. As mentioned in other threads, I just starting charging (aka not giving them away) for my work. This combo works well for me when I'm on the field or dugout and really only for infield shots. Since its not the IS version, I use a monopod. My buddy shoots with a MkII and a 300 2.8 and although it shoots at 8.5 fps versus my 5, its the glass I'm envious of. As a matter of fact, I believe the noise level on the 30D is better than the MkII but night games with poor field lighting aren't as common as day games.

So if I had money to burn, I'd take my chances with a 10fps MKIII, 300 2.8 and a 5DMkII w/my 70-200 2.8 and keep my 30D hooked up to my 17-55 2.8 as my end of game trophy camera... but for now, I'll have to deal with my current setup or maybe look for a used MkII.

Quote Originally Posted by abyssal20
    I went and purchased a "state of the art" 30d and a 300 f/4. I didn't want to invest in a 1d and big glass just in case the results over the Nikons weren't any better. My testing began and I was thoroughly impressed with the performance by dismayed by the build quality. The lens of course was better both optically and in build quality, which I expected for an "L" lens. The body, however, was built like a plastic model. Sure, it looked good and functioned well, but I was afraid it would shatter if I bumped it.

Hmmm..

I guess if you got used to a professional body, the 30d might seem like a toy, though I've dropped mine a couple times, and to me, while it has a few plastic parts, the alloy body feels pretty solid. The rebel series, OTOH, is very plastic, and almost too small to hold.

I'm starting to get insecure. Maybe I should tape some weights to the bottom []

A 1DmkII would be a nice upgrade, but the 30d is paid for.

I didn't mean to take anything away from the 30d, but your right, I was used to pro bodies that could take a lickin and keep on tickin. I thought the 30d was light years ahead of anything I used before in terms of technology. But I will always attest at the secure feeling of knowing my 1n's would always nail the focus and exposure time after time, and do so at 10fps. I also had numerous battery options from onboard AA to dedicated NiMh, to NiCads, and externals. But then again, they only had to drive the motor, shutter, and meter. Todays cameras are much more demanding. I have to admit though, that when I started using the 30d, I exclaimed to my wife that I thought it impossible to get a bad exposure, even with the built-in flash. A truely amazing camera!

I picked up a 1DMkIIN for $1500 with all the accessories and a second battery. I have taken 1000 shots on one battery! Try that with your 30D. There are plenty of good used 2N's for under @2k. Just be patient. AF is way better than my 30D ever was. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by onlypars

I picked up a 1DMkIIN for $1500 with all the accessories and a second battery. I have taken 1000 shots on one battery! Try that with your 30D. There are plenty of good used 2N's for under @2k. Just be patient. AF is way better than my 30D ever was. Hope this helps.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

$1,500 for a IIN sounds like a good price. It's definetly a sports shooters dream. I almost grapped one for $1,750 a few weeks ago, but I ended up adding a 5D MKII and I didn't think I could remain married with both on one Visa bill.