Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is causing this flare?

Re: What is causing this flare?

It is not lens flare or filter flare. It is light reflecting off the back edge of the mirror. It has affected 5D1 and 5D2 photographers. Here is an example:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30984031

Alan

Daniel, thanks. This looks to be the cause.

You're right about the 5D1, as well. I was taking shots of Christmas light displays, in December, using the 5D1. I saw this large conifer covered with lights.

About 20 feet away was a street light. Even though the light pole was not in the frame, a huge flare emitted into the image (portrait style).

That was about the same shutter speed as the images above, and those pics in December were taken without a filter on the lens.

This is good to know for the future!

Dan, I tend to agree with you about internal reflection. So, I went to the link you posted and started reading. Frankly I got bored and couldn't believe how many people had to put in their 2 cents. Like they say, opinions are like $%#holes. Everybody has one, and they all stink. If I was experiencing the problem consistently, I would contact Canon and have them form a solution or explanation. These guys and gals although NOT rocket/camera scientists, are trained, have every concievable piece of equipment Canon makes, and also run into all sorts of odd problems. Thanks for the link though, it was interesting for a short time.