Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware of Canon repair!

Beware of Canon repair!

Argh. I have a 1D Mark III. It's been to Virginia for the well-known sub-mirror auto-focus fix. It's been to Irvine CA for the "abnormal mirror operation" (aka Error 99) fix. And now, three days and 16 shutter actuations after receiving it back from the mirror fix, it's going back to Canon for a re-fix of the "abnormal mirror operation" problem. Before the trip to Irvine, the problem existing "first thing in the morning" - as I'd pull the camera out of the bag, I'd power on, get stuff ready, blah blah, take a shot, and blammo it'd have the error. If I pulled the battery out, shoved it back in, and immediately took a shot, I'd usually be fine until it went to sleep again. Now, it just won't shoot - with or without lens, with or without memory card, just doesn't matter.

So now I get to type up a big page of shipping instructions, since I leave for vacation in 8 days - if it'll be back by 6/12, send it here, 6/15-6/17 send it there, 6/18-6/19, send it this place, 6/22-6/29 send it here, and anything later you'd better have a director-level person calling to explain things. Ugh.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Beware of Canon repair!

This is just bad luck, i got my 50 1.4 fixed at irvine and i got it back fast and in perfect working order.

When ever you have repeat problems on your gear ask for free shipping to "correct their mistake." It still sucks to have the camera out of your hands but at least you you're saved 10 bucks.

They paid for the shipping both ways the first time, since it was a service bulletin/warranty repair. They were going to pay for shipping both ways this time, but that meant a UPS label wouldn't come by email for two business days. They then offered to send a FedEx label, but it hadn't arrived by the shipping cutoff for my local FedEx drop point so I ended up eating the outbound shipping. I "need" the camera back by next Friday before I go on vacation.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

They have a customer feedback survey right? Ask for one if they do. Make sure they hear your complaint.

I have never had any bad experiences with Canon Repair, at all, not have my colleagues. So to go public and warn everybody for them is, considering your personal experience, understandable, but not realistic. It's not standard practice, everyone can screw up. You just ran out of luck and you have to give them the opportunity to correct this.

That said I sympathise with your feelings and hope your problems get resolved.

I think you should be getting better treatment. The Canon Professional Services guys should be loaning you a camera body at this point.

For what it's worth, I agree with Madison and Dallas on this.

I do think its some bad luck. And everyone does screw up. But those guys are paid techies and while that doesn't make them perfect by any stretch, I think a certain degree of customer service is in order.

I second Dallas's comment. Whether he said it jokingly or not, Im not sure. But you might try talking to Canons customer support stuff and explain your situation. Say you're going on vacation in a few days and if they could send you a loaner body that'd be swell. Maybe even offer to take a downgrade as a loaner. (Some camera is better than no camera right?)

In my personalexperience, Canons been good to me. Fixed my 20D real quick. (of course I paid out the wazoo for it so that mighthave been incentive for them to get it done)..

Just sent a 5D to Jamesburg, NJ after the mirror came unglued from the carrier at Road Atlanta. Usedthe backup 30D next day. Never had a problem with the 30D. (Maybe I shouldn't say that at least till I get my 5D back) I'll let you know how they do.

JeffersonPoster

My experience with Canon service has been mostly very positive. However, they are human, and when they are, they can be annoying []

Most annoying is when there is obviously substandard operation, and somebody tries to to convince me that things are okay and 'normal'.

But I've never had something unresolved once i framed the situation in a, "So, let me get this straight. You, _____, are telling me that according to Canon manufacturer specifications, ________ is entirely acceptable?"

They're not the absolute best company i've dealt with in terms of customer support, but overall, I feel compelled to say that they are pretty darn good, and far better than most of the jokers selling technology products.

Here's the rub in all of this: the repair form included in the box when the camera came back said something to the effect of "adjustments were made". After the outright failure yesterday, the telephone agent told me what had been done: they replaced a washer. A freaking "service bulletin" for a washer? A re-repair for a washer? No camera for nearly a month (sent in May 19, received back June 2, shipped back June 5, at best I'll get it June 11), for a washer? Wow.

Given the recent restructuring of Canon Professional Services, I'd be surprised (but elated!) if they sent a loaner. For now, I just hope I get the magical "confirmation" email with my repair ticket on Monday, and that they don't sit on it until later in the week.