Thread: What two lenses should I have for my Canon XSI

What two lenses should I have for my Canon XSI

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some lenses. I purchased a Canon XSI w/ 18-55mm in the spring. I just recently purchased a Canon 430EX II speedlight. I was taking pictures at my cousins wedding and found that I could'nt get the shots I was hoping for. I'd like to add a couple of lenses to my collection one to replace the 18-55 that came with the camera. thanks

Re: What two lenses should I have for my Canon XSI

I can't offer detailed suggestions (I only have the 18-55 and the 50 f/1.8) but I can ask you the opening questions to any "What lens" question.

-What do you like shooting/shoot the most?

-What is your budget?

-Do you care about weight?

I like to shoot weddings, family functions....I like to shoot landscapes, some sports events (basketball, volleyball)

<p class="itemTitle"]budget wise I don't want to break the bank but I was looking at a Canon <span class="ebay"]EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. if thats any idea
    <p class="itemTitle"]
    <p class="itemTitle"]not to concerned about weight

I'd go with the 70-200 4.0 IS over the 24-105 for your situation. The 24-105 will overlap a lot of the range you have covered with the 18-55.

If you are shooting sports you will probably fine that 105 will not be long enough in most cases. As always if you can afford it go with the 2.8 IS.

If you're on a budget, I would suggest the EF-S 55-250mm IS and 50mm f/1.8

Both are very inexpensive and will all three lenses (keep the 18-55 IS)should cover most situations (wide, tele, and low light). They all have very good IQ for the $ too

I have an XSiwith a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ($420ish) and a50mm f1.8 II ($80ish). I alsohave a pair of430EXs and a Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2. I highly recommend the Tamron and for the money it's crazy not to have a Nifty Fifty.

I'm stuckusing anancient (circa 1997) 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM II it's slow in every way and seem to sap the color from any picture it's used on. (I know this is partly due to using high ISO to counter it's slow aperture.) So, I can't personally recommend a long lens. Although I am seriously thinking about selling my Smith &amp;Wesson 500 toget a200mm f/2.8 L II USM ($750ish)because I tend to use only the longest focal lengths (200-300mm) on my 75-300mm andthe 200mm f/2.8 L II USMis fast and fairlycheap not to mention relatively light and inconspicuous, being a black lens.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

you should know why you don't like the wedding pictures you took with the kit lens first, if it was because that the kit lens is not fast and sharp enough(color is the issue too) than you might want get some L Lenses. to cover from landscape to sports, the two lenses should be 16-35L(or 17-40L or 24-70L) and any 70-200L depend on how much you want to spend.but start with the 24-105 is not a bad idea anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhakon
    I was taking pictures at my cousins wedding and found that I could'nt get the shots I was hoping for.

In what way?

Have you considered getting more lighting equipment before you upgrade your lenses? Depending on the circumstances I'm finding that itmay give you more bang for your buck.

Just a thought.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9