Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying camera in big city

Carrying camera in big city

I'm about to embark on a two-day business trip in Chicago. I desperately want to take my Rebel XS and assorted lenses, but this will be the first time I've taken it to a big city to shoot.I guess common sense applies, but has anyone had any problems with others being "interested" in your things?I might catch a White Sox game, which isn't in the greatest part of town, but would offer some great shots. Any advice appreciated.

Re: Carrying camera in big city

I haven't had problems in Toronto, even in some of the "shadier" areas. Just wear your neck strap, be aware of what's going on around you, and if you've got a 400 2.8 IS, leave it in the backpack until the White Sox game [].

I took my 40D last August to Chicago. I also brought a 17-85mm and a 70-200L IS. The first day I quickly realized that there is no way I'd be carrying the 70-200mm beast with me. It definitely stands out, and is just too heavy to carry around. I was also worried that I'd be standing out with my camera - period, but soon realized that everywhere I went, there would be about 5-10 other tourists with their cameras around me so I "blended in" without any problems. I definitely advise you to take the widest angle lens (for architecture shots), and extra memory cards with you. Pack lightly, and have fun.

I think D-SLR's have become such common place these days that you really shouldn't have any problems (unless your walking around with a 400 2.8 as alexandria said!) I've walked around Boston and have been to Fenway Park on numerous occasions with my 20D and 100-400 without any problems. Just be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. Have fun--Chicago is a great city!

Never had any problem in Toronto either.

But you surely should pay attention on your equipment. I guess an XS with some assorted lenses won't rise too much attention. To be the safest, leave any white L lens at home as you may not even need them for a bisuness trip - their size and color make them very special. As said, DSLRs now are so common that they may not specially be targets anymore. make sure to hang your camera around your neck or hold it tight in hand, then you'll be ok.

I had experience shooting in some cities in China with my friends, apprently one of my friend has had his camera strap cut and being taken away quickly from the back when his camera was locked on his shoulder. At that moment he had a 70-200/2.8L IS on the camera...

My $0.02.

My walkaround lens is a 50mm f/1.4, so it's pretty unassuming as far as lenses go, as it is so short. I am going toa Cubs game on Saturday, so I think I'll at least bring the white 70-200 f/4. Maybe I'll just keep it in the backpack until I get in the stadium.

You might also consider getting additional "valuables" coverage from your home insurance if you have any. It ought to give some piece of mind in case the worst does happen to know you're covered for theft (or accidental damage even).

If you're concerned about being mugged, just rent the 400mm f/2.8. If anyone tries for it, you can knock them clean out with a 400mm "head shot". Be careful not to cut yourself though, the pictures are razor sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow
    I am going toa Cubs game on Saturday, so I think I'll at least bring the white 70-200 f/4. Maybe I'll just keep it in the backpack until I get in the stadium.

Check the stadium website or call to see if you can take your 70-200 first. I know Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh Penguins) doesn't let any lens bigger than three inches in. I don't know about the Cub's stadium though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow
    I am going toa Cubs game on Saturday, so I think I'll at least bring the white 70-200 f/4. Maybe I'll just keep it in the backpack until I get in the stadium.

Check the stadium website or call to see if you can take your 70-200 first. I know Mellon Arena (Pittsburgh Penguins) doesn't let any lens bigger than three inches in. I don't know about the Cub's stadium though.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

From their website:

Cameras/Video Equipment: Visitors are welcome to bring video and still cameras into the ballpark; however, tripods are not allowed in the seating areas. Recordings may be used for personal viewing only. Any other use, distribution or commercial use is prohibited. Fans may not distribute any copyrighted game information without permission of the Chicago Cubs.