Hey everybody...

Over the last little while, I've been increasingly interested in the science behind lenses and light. But, I won't be officially studying light until grade 11 physics next year[].

So, is anybody (*Cough* Daniel Browning[]) willing to help me out with the following topics?
  • Understanding f-stop: I understand DOF, etc. I also know that F= f/d, where F is the effective F number, f is the focal length, and d is the aperture diameter. Can anybody help me dig a little deeper?
  • Focal Length. What is the true definition of focal length - In terms of the optics?
  • Light in general: What happens to light when it encounters a solid, like glass or fluorite? It refracts. What does this really mean? What is the refractive index of a material?
  • Focus: How can objects be brought into focus? Simple observations have found that the optical system is shifted further from the film/sensor to bring closer objects into focus, and vise versa.
  • Any other technical knowledge to share?

I know I'm asking for a lot of information, but I'm simply interested. I've tried some other sites on the Internet covering these topics, and I have gained a very general understanding. I'm looking for some photographers who are willing to explain these topics in much more detail.

Thanks!

- Alex