Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Three "L" lenses I always carry...

Re: Three "L" lenses I always carry...

I always carry the 16-35/2.8L and 100/2.8 Macro plus a 580EX II flash. Depending on what I'm shooting, I'll also take a 50/1.8 II, 28-135 IS, Tamron 70-300, or 580EX flash. The 70-200/2.8 is at the top of my wishlist. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin

If the 16-35L, 24-105L and 70-200/2.8L are the three lenses you always carry along with your body, then you do carry a lot! (more like a 6kg backpack overall?) I only carry this much (quite a bit more than this actually) when I'm simply moving all my gear from one place to the other, i.g. going back home for my 4 months summer vacation. Otherwise, this is all I carry 95% of the time:

1V-HS + 16-35/2.8L II, 85/1.8

or

50D + 24-70/2.8L

This way I can just bring a Lowepro Nova 180 with me or a ThinkTank Speed Racer, I only bring my 70-200L when I need a telescope[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Now you've done it, now you're going to make me discuss my camera bag. Finding the right bag was far more difficult than deciding on lenses, camera bodies, or just about anything else I use professionally. []I swear I went through a half dozen or so from Lowepro, ThinkTank, Tamarac, Canon, and Crumpler before finally finding a bag that fit my needs. And, it was only just released.

The Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home lets me store my 5D Mark II with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens, hood reversed, attached. I can comfortably fit a couple of more lenses with the hoods, a 580 or 430 flash, and the various necessities we usually need. I sling it over my neck like a messenger bag, and I can do lens changes on the fly without having to put it down on the ground like a backpack. It's actually distributes the weight really well, and when I'm out shooting, the camera is generally around my neck so the weight of the bag and two lenses is minimal.

It could easily hold a four or more extra lenses, but then the weight would become a real issue.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
    <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />
    <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Cory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_fi lelist.xml" />
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
    <ooNotRelyOnCSS />
    </o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
    </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <w:WordDocument>
    <w:View>Normal</w:View>
    <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
    <w:PunctuationKerning />
    <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas />
    <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
    <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
    <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
    <w:Compatibility>
    <w:BreakWrappedTables />
    <w:SnapToGridInCell />
    <w:WrapTextWithPunct />
    <w:UseAsianBreakRules />
    <wontGrowAutofit />
    </w:Compatibility>
    <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
    </w:WordDocument>
    </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"]
    </w:LatentStyles>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <style>
    &lt;!--
    /* Style Definitions */
    p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
    {mso-style-parent:"";
    margin:0in;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    span.EmailStyle15
    {mso-style-typeersonal;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
    mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:Arial;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Arial;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Arial;
    mso-bidi-font-family:Arial;
    color:windowtext;}
    @page Section1
    {size:8.5in 11.0in;
    margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
    mso-header-margin:.5in;
    mso-footer-margin:.5in;
    mso-paper-source:0;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    --&gt;
    </style>
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    <style>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
    </style>
    <![endif]-->
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]If I&rsquo;m throwing the shoulder bag on and venturing out by foot (in the
    city or wilderness) to take pictures this will be my target kit&hellip;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](owned) Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM &ndash; Spectacular field of view on
    this. Primary uses are Landscape and close quarters indoor and architecture
    shots.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](owned) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM &ndash; As others have said, my (light
    conditions) general &ldquo;I don&rsquo;t know what I&rsquo;ll be taking pictures of&hellip;&rdquo; lens.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](2nd next buy) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM &ndash; Portraits and the
    optimal choice over the 24-105 if I have the time and distance.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](1st next buy) Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM &ndash; Obviously for
    the long range stuff. Wildlife, small detail shots of objects too far for the
    70-200 (for example: A gargoyle on a high cathedral tower).<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]Canon x2 Teleconverter<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]It covers everything from 10mm to 400mm (with a 1.6 crop resulting in
    16mm to 640mm), potentially doubled to as high as 1280mm. Every once in a great
    while I wonder if I should have just bought a Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Digital
    Camera (it can also shoot 1080 HD Video) or Olympus SP-590UZ Digital Camera
    (which hits x26 room &ndash; roughly the equivalent of my max range with the
    100-400mm L and a x2 Teleconverter), but this little voice in my head whispers
    &ldquo;Picture quality and specialty lenses&hellip;&rdquo; and I immediately remember why I&rsquo;ll
    eventually spend like twenty time more money than the PowerShot would have run
    me&hellip; (remember: Picture quality and specialty lenses&hellip; picture quality and
    specialty lenses&hellip.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]<o> </o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]I also own&hellip;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II &ndash; My first general lens. It replaced the
    lens that came with my original Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel. If I have the
    room to bring it I still get occasional use out of it when the light is fading
    and the 10-22mm isn&rsquo;t long enough.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM &ndash; Specifically for low light relatively
    close indoor use. Parties, family get-togethers, etc.<span> I intentionally bought a less expensive lens
    here due to the fact that I expect friends/family to be passing around the
    camera and taking shots (otherwise I&rsquo;d have spend the extra $$$ for a 24mm
    f/1.4 L II USM)<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (the original one) &ndash; The first lens I
    ever bought. I now only use it if I absolutely must have the range. As soon as
    I buy the 100-400mm L it will go the way of my 300D (to my brother).<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]Other lenses I am considering&hellip;<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](3<sup>rd</sup>next buy) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro &ndash; Taking all
    the considerations between the various macros this one wins out on a balance of
    range, aperture, price, size, etc. It&rsquo;s got a little range, it&rsquo;s fast, cheap,
    much smaller than the 180mm L and has decent picture quality.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"]<span>(4<sup>th</sup> next buy) Canon
    24mm f/1.4 L II USM
    or Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM &ndash; Night and low light
    landscape and architecture.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]<span style="font-size: 12pt;"](someday) Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5x Macro &ndash; Just because the fun I think I
    could have with this incredible&hellip; but it&rsquo;s far down on the list due to the fact
    that it is very specialized.<o></o>

Ok I gotta change mine. Circumstances came up where I needed the 24+ zoom range and since I sold my 24-105 I ordered the 24-70.

The local Lexus dealer called Friday and asked me if I could shoot there unveiling event this week and I was thinking of trying to get by with the 16-35 II. Since they have a bunch of events coming up I decided not to play around and ordered the 24-70 (the range I claimed I never use).

So I now have the trifecta of 2.8 L lenses:

1) 16-35 II

2) 24-70

3) 70-200 2.8 IS

My 24 1.4L will be going on the auction block to help pay for the 24-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Ok I gotta change mine......

1) 16-35 II

2) 24-70

3) 70-200 2.8 IS

My 24 1.4L will be going on the auction block to help pay for the 24-70.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Well... That's pretty solid []

Maybe I should get some fingernail polish and paint 'II' on my 16-35... Then we can match (once the 24-70 goes back for/returns frominspection/service)

Should we match our T-Shirts too?

in my bag, all the time:
    • Canon Rebel XSi
    • Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L
    • Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6
    • 430 EX II speedlite

and of course my 718B manfrotto tripod. Basically all I have as camera gear

1) 16-35 II

2) 24-70

3) 70-200 2.8 IS
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]I'm so jealous! It's the full-framer's dream kit!! Oh well, I have as close as I can get to the 1.6X FOVCF equivalent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

1) 16-35 II

2) 24-70

3) 70-200 2.8 IS
    <p style="CLEAR:both;"]
    <p style="CLEAR:both;"]I'm so jealous! It's the full-framer's dream kit!! Oh well, I have as close as I can get to the 1.6X FOVCF equivalent

If you saw how bad my savings account dwindled you may not be so jealous.

It's true though, everything seemed to change once I went FF. I had the 70-200 4.0 non IS and it seemed too long for anything I was shooting on my 40D so I sold it. Then when I got my 5D2 I missed that focal range. My 24 1.4L seemed perfect on my 40D and now is just too wide for most stuff. I had a 15 Fisheye for my wide stuff and now on the 5D it just seems ridiculous.

So since I've had the 5D2 I've essentially just wiped the slate clean and bought the right lenses. The only thing I want now is the 35 1.4 to fill the low light fixed void of the 24 on 40D.

Colin

I'm wearing a sky blue tee, tan shorts, black socks pulled up to the knee. Can you hang with that?

well for me considering my only 2.8 and "L" lens in the 70-200 non IS i find a reason to use it all the time lol its either that or the crappy kit lens so i have no choice after the large investement of the 70-200. now i need a new body and wide angle. but for a highschooler i have time lol this thread is helpful however

Colin

I'm wearing a sky blue tee, tan shorts, black socks pulled up to the knee. Can you hang with that?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I'll check out the thrift store and see what I can do []