Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Three "L" lenses I always carry...

Re: Three "L" lenses I always carry...

Canon Rumors says the highly anticipated, often requested EF 24-70 f2.8/L IS lens may be on the way. If they're correct, my "three lens kit" just changed, and my credit card just took a hit. [8-|]

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/06/ef-24-70-f2-8l-is-cr1/

Quote Originally Posted by KBeat

Canon Rumors says the highly anticipated, often requested EF 24-70 f2.8/L IS lens may be on the way. If they're correct, my "three lens kit" just changed, and my credit card just took a hit. [img]/emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/06/ef-24-70-f2-8l-is-cr1/
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

If that came true Keith B would be pissed(he just picked up a 24-70 f/2.8). Does Canon Rumors provide a "hit rate" on their website? They love to speculate but how often do they get things right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

If that came true Keith B would be pissed(he just picked up a 24-70 f/2.8). Does Canon Rumors provide a "hit rate" on their website? They love to speculate but how often do they get things right?

Depends. If the lens is going to jump $500-$600 in price, as in the instance of the 24 1.4 II, I'll be okay.

I would imagine that would be the reality (if not higher) if they are adding IS too.

Who knows Mark, I take all rumor sites, be they Apple, Canon, or whatever, with a can of Epson's. They did have the early line on the manual mode for video firmware update on the 5D Mark II, and have probably been right a few other times. An IS version of the venerable 24-70mm 2.8 is such a sought after upgrade that it lends the rumor a higher degree of credibility. Canon knows this lens would be a top seller, so there isn't any reason for them not to be working on one. I suppose it's all a matter of timing. I mean, if we see one in 2 or 3 years, were they right? Unless something hits the stores later this year, it's just another useless rumor.

Such an upgrade won't do wonders for sales of the 24-105 lens unless the price difference is $600+ or so as Keith mentioned.

my 3 lenses are exactly the same as TS, 16-35/2.8L, 24-105/4L IS, &amp; 70-200/2.8L IS. also the same body. []

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    Does Canon Rumors provide a "hit rate" on their website? They love to speculate but how often do they get things right?

They do provide a "hit rate" on their various sources. They rate them [CR1], [CR2], and [CR3]. [CR1] means a new source and [CR3] as a source that gets 95% right. This rumor's source is rated [CR1], which means "New source, never heard from before."

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]The 24-70/2.8L is already a rather large and heavy lens, coming in at just over 2 lbs. I think the primary reason why Canon did not make it IS is because it would become even heavier. So if the rumors are true, either Canon dida complete redesign that would keep the weight reasonable, or it's going to be a 3-lb. lens. Those of us who have been clamoring for a 24-70/2.8L IS might think twice if it's heavy....just a thought.

So far, I have:

Canon 40d

70-200 2.8 IS

24-105 4 IS

and am leaning toward the 10-22 EF-S next. It is a fabulous, fun lens. I'm lucky that I've been able to borrow my bro-in-law's copy for a couple of trips and find it to be a lot of fun. I would try to have it for any trip to a city, as it provides some great city/museum/etc shots. I am not sure what's next for a body yet, either the xxd that replaces the 50d or a 5dmk2, so I haven't pulled the trigger. But I suspect full frame will be in my future, so I may wait a while.

So the word is Canon has discontinued my favorite lens: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS.

Given the popularity of the lens, I assume this means we'll see version II of this lens shortly. Better IS, better optics, lighter weight? I'm curious how they're going to improve this already superb lens.

No. There is no official word on the status of this lens.