Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Damsels I've known

Re: Damsels I've known

Got a few shots recently, bug I think the diffused light from the leaf worked well on this one.

5D II + 180mm/3.5 + 1.4x TC

Nice Dann, like the diffussed lighting as well. Ya gotta kinda wish that bright spot didn't run quite so far down the scene, but as they say, ya take waht ya get. Hope to see some more from you real soon. I seem to have moved onto dragons lately, but I'll but a few up in case anyone is interested. Also, now that we are in full swing season wise I hope others will post as well.

Here are a couple Blue Dasher's both Male and Female

Female Widow Skimmer

Calico Pennant

All exifs, and other bugs and insects can be found at [View:http://www.pbase.com/dbrasco/animals]

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy.

Female Spangled Skimmer perhaps. Do you have a top view.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann Thombs

Female Spangled Skimmer perhaps. Do you have a top view.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks Dann, you got me looking in the right area, it's a Female Widow Skimmer

Ah, a top view would have been fairly straightforward in that case. Glad you were able to get an ID.

it seems a little weird to me that you guys know the names of these things []

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

it seems a little weird to me that you guys know the names of these things [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's not that I know the names of these things but it's part of the respect I need to give to my subject matter and improves the viewing experience.

I will take reasonable effort to research and identify most subjects. People don't shoot a picture of Wrigley Field or PNC Park and call the photo "Some Baseball Field". Most wouldn't shoot a picture of the Sears Tower and call it "Some Building". (Although my son, did shoot a picture of the Vatican and called it "Some Church") I don't think that most people who look at these photos care that a dragonfly belongs to the order Odonata, the suborder Epiprocta or, in the strict sense, the infraorder Anisoptera. But, I do think it's natural for people to look at a photo of a flower, instect or bug, or place and want to know what they are looking at.

Having said that, I'm not fanatic about it. Go through my galleries and you will find titles like "Pretty Flower" or "Ugly Bug" []

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to ID'ing. I've finally come to terms with accepting a Genus level ID on many of the flies I shoot. At least I'm getting over the urge to not bother photographing a bug that I don't think I'd be able to identify later.

However I do a lot of local documentation, so I find it important to be able to figure out what exactly I'm coming accross.

Not that weird. I find it just as much fun trying to ID them as trying to take photos of them.

The quality of the photos in here are amazing. I have
    been trying my hand at photographing damselflies using a Canon EF 300mm
    f/4L IS USM &amp; Canon 25mm extension tube.

Hope you like my attempts:

All Azure Damselflies- Coenagrion puella

EXIF

EXIF

This one with the Canon 1.4x extender attached.

EXIF