Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damsels I've known

Damsels I've known

It's the season, and while this is hardly something I any good at, here are some Damsels I've shot in the last few days. Hope you enjoy and if you've been shooting damsels, please join in. Somehow 'if you've been shooting damsels' just seems wrong. [6]

<span class="exif"]Canon 40d 1/400s f/6.3 at 180.0mm iso400, tripod

<span class="exif"]1/160s f/9.0 at 180.0mm iso400

<span class="exif"]1/80s f/10.0 at 180.0mm iso400

Couldn't resist adding in this cutie

<span class="exif"]1/50s f/11.0 at 180.0mm iso100

More damels and complete EXIFs are at: [View:http://www.pbase.com/dbrasco/dragonflies]

Re: Damsels I've known

Great photos Don! I love the orange damselfly.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Great shots. Outstanding captures.

Amazing! I think my favorite is the first one.

Thank you all. I am really hoping we get some additional posts because damsels/dragons are so beautiful and detailed.

Alan

Don, maybe this is a good place to ask you, since you're a top-notch macro photographer.

Do you use a rail system with your camera, to finely tune the shot?

And, give me a clue on how you get those pesky flies to stay still long enough to have their picture taken! []

Not as good as Don's, but here is a dragonfly I shot a while back with a rebel xt and a 100mm macro lens.

ISO 400, f/10, 1/200 sec.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93/dragonfly.jpg[/img]

Thank you Alan. I think I'm more accurately in the slightly above average range. Venture over to Naturescape's Macro/Flora forum if you want to see some Top-Notch guys at work. I don't use a macro flash or rails, but I'm ok with that.

My set up is always:

Macro lens, (100mm or 180mm) Remember, 1:1 is 1:1 so the choice of which is usually about the working distance I want from the object. I have to admit though, I favor the 180, but DOF gets to be trickier. The biggest thing I've learned in the last year is that it is critical to have your focus point parallel to the camera sensor to maximum DOF in Macros. With macro shots your maximimum DOF is a mere few mm.

Tripod: I have both the Manfrotto 055xprob and the 190xprob. I favor the shorter one for low subject, but with the horizional arm, either works. The 055xprob is better (heavier) against the wind and when extended. I am not beyond using a sandbag on the camera or a weight below center if things are blowing around. I currently only have a Manfrotto 488RCO ballhead. Exact framing get's a little tricky because theres always some slick/stick but one gets used to it.

Mirror Lock Up or Live View, Remote Release are the other 2 musts. Extension tubes get a fair amount of use and sometimes I'll even strap the 1.4 T-Con to the back of the macro lenses. (Use a section of extension tube between the T-Con and macro lens to make it work)

Recently, for insects, I've experimented some with flash, both on and off camera but this won't ever replace the benefits of a good macro flash. With my set up I can kill most of the shadows but guys properly using macro flashes can really make the colors pop while overcoming the constant movement the little buggers exhibit. I never used flash for flora but do use diffusers and/or reflectors a lot.

Getting them to hold still, at least in my experience, is partially about timing and partly about the species. Many dragonflyies will return to the same perch repeatedly, so you can set up and wait. These Damsel flys seem to hang in the same area but bounce from perch to perch. Guys who shoot insects a lot, say that if they get aclaimated to your presence, your in like flin because they won't scare as easily. I find as long as I stay slow and keep my shadow out of the way I can get farily close. The ones in these shots though, including the fly were taken as they were settling in for the night or right after a rain. At least, to me, they don't seem to be quick so erratic towards evening. Also, they're supposed to be sluggish in the morning while they wait for the dew to dry off their wings.

That's everything I know in a nutshell, hope it helps.

Nice capture Jon. Really like the detail in the eyes. Just one more stop and I think you'd have got the rest of his foreleg. Great color and composition

Alan

Don, that was a great tutorial. Lots of valuable information. I've done some macro work, mostly with flora. You got my juices going on the bugaboos after seeing these great shots. I'm gonna use what you said, and capture those little critters.

Thanks again.