Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Re: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    Funny part is when talking to friends, they didn't blink at the cost of the bike, but when I mentioned the lens and its cost....the expressions and comments were of incredulous disbelief.

Same thing with me! "Yeah, I just dropped $2600 for that MacBook Pro". "Oh, me? I bought some camera lenses". "What?!""

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend >$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.

Maybe I should show them the 1200 f/5.6 L. That'll show them. []

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye.
    <p style="CLEAR:both;"]
    <p style="CLEAR:both;"]I seem to recall you saying before that you've only taken about 100 pictures using your fisheye but it seems like such a fun lens (to use on occasion). I bet you'd miss it at times. When I get a full frame body that lens will be added to my wish list

<p style="CLEAR:both;"]On the other hand, its sale could probably finance your Hensel Porty

Well I actually did sell it on eBay but the buyer bailed out and I'm thinking it may have been a sign to keep it. I used it a lot more on my 40D, on my 5DII it is fun but I find I can get a similar less distorted effect with the 16-35.

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

Same thing with me! "Yeah, I just dropped $2600 for that MacBook Pro". "Oh, me? I bought some camera lenses". "What?!""

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend &gt;$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.

Maybe I should show them the 1200 f/5.6 L. That'll show them.[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

This is where I know I have a problem, I use to upgrade my Macs every 2 years. Now that I have cameras to occupy my need to blow money I keep my computers longer. I'll put a new body or a lens or two in front of a new computer.

Well played Canon.

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend &gt;$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

I'm always saying - We'll I do have some money... Maybe I'll buy that new bike - I was seriously looking at an Opus road bike for a while.

And then I would go up the street to the camera shop, and I would ask to try the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L, and then I'd take back everything I had said about the bike.

Thankfully I "finished" equipping my bike last year - Garmin Edge 705 and the Quarq Cinqo powermeter crankset. If I had a surplus of money, I'd get new wheels to replace the factory set, but they're good enough so I'm safe.

Lately, I just struggle trying to sort the wishlist to determine what's on top. I think the answer is a second "good" body - Rebel XTi backing up a 1D Mark III is just too much of a mismatch. But, I want a set of the new PocketWizard goodies...and in the lens department I can't decide whether to get the 24-70, 35L, or 24L2 next.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

All I know is that I wasplanning on a new snowboard deck for this summer. Not gonna happen. haha. Strobe kit and lens took that place. My parents were astonished when I said I'd rather save up for some lenses than a car. Afterall, a car means: up front price + insurance + gas. Why pay that when I can take their car?

Being content is a hard lesson in the first place. Canon makes it no easier.

Anyhobby, if taken seriously, costs money. So if you're serious about photography it's nothing wrongwhen dropping thousand of bucks on equipments.

I often don't understand why my friend spends 2 grands on rims for their car while the stock ones would do justfine.On the other handhe justdoesn'tunderstand why Ispend the same amount of money ona big old camera with a gigantic lens.

I always do the justification thing and say I can make money with my stuff. But I find that every time I make a $500 on gigs I turn around and spend $1000. So I'm still a little upside-down.

Sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Anyhobby, if taken it seriously, costs money. So if you're serious about photography it's nothing wrongwhen dropping thousand of bucks on equipments.

I often don't understand why my friend spends 2 grands on rims for their car while the stock ones would do justfine.

Well said, and don't get me started on cars. Others spend $75,000 on a car, that's fine. I spend $2000 for a lens and I'm an irresponsible freak madman crazyhead.

When I got my first job, I spent $10,000 on a telescope. It was so big I needed a truck to haul it around... an $800 truck. Crazy crazy crazy, right? If I had spent $10,800 on a truck to commute in (and never hauled anything with it) I would have been considered reasonable.

Every time I look at Canon L lens and read the reviews, I want it. Latest is 70-200 2.8 L IS $l600. Not just yet!!!!

It's a sickness OK, but a good one, when you see the results..............

I went even further; Selling items from the last hobby to pay for this hobby; selling two pistols to buy the Tokina 12-24, and a 100 year old Savage 99 in the scariest of avaible calibers for the 100-400.

Oh Well. I shoot more with the new lens, than with the old guns.

Guess it is nothing new, I have 4 Canon film camera too.