Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

So, I just caught myself recent doing something I've been denying for a year or so (after I relized I was doing it).

$1500 for a new bike I want? Nah, too expensive to jusitify to myself.

$1800 spent on my (first ever needed repair) car. Damn that was a lot!

...and so on...

But $1400 for a new lens... not that much compared to what some of the lenses cost. [^o)]

How many of you find that when you take something that you think is "too much" and a lens that costs roughly the same amount... you find yourself justifying the lens purchase much easier?

It's a sickness we have.

Re: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Sickness/Passion/Obsession...

[]

Yeah, it is...

I surely suffer from that sickness.... Have been thinking of changing my car but every time I end with with a decent amount in the bank, I end up buying a camera or a lens or film.

I suffer from it too. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Yep - Me three.

I'm always saying - We'll I do have some money... Maybe I'll buy that new bike - I was seriously looking at an Opus road bike for a while.

And then I would go up the street to the camera shop, and I would ask to try the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L, and then I'd take back everything I had said about the bike.

My parents must think I'm crazy sometimes...[]

I've got it really bad! I just put the finishing touches on my glass kit, for now [:P] with my most recent purchase of the venerableEF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS and all I can think about is getting a couple more Speedlites and maybe even put together a studio lighting kit...AlienBees anyone?

Yeah I went over the top real quick. I finally feel content with my lens line up 16-35 2.8 II, 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS and 100-400. I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye. I have a 430EX and 2 580EXII and am thinking about getting one more 580EXII. Then my next thing will be a Hensel Porty and a couple heads. But I'm going to wait a bit on that and try to replenish my savings account.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]I seem to recall you saying before that you've only taken about 100 pictures using your fisheye but it seems like such a fun lens (to use on occasion). I bet you'd miss it at times. When I get a full frame body that lens will be added to my wish list

<p style="CLEAR: both"]On the other hand, its sale could probably finance your Hensel Porty

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

I'm always saying - We'll I do have some money... Maybe I'll buy that new bike - I was seriously looking at an Opus road bike for a while.

And then I would go up the street to the camera shop, and I would ask to try the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L, and then I'd take back everything I had said about the bike.

Thankfully I "finished" equipping my bike last year - Garmin Edge 705 and the Quarq Cinqo powermeter crankset. If I had a surplus of money, I'd get new wheels to replace the factory set, but they're good enough so I'm safe.

Lately, I just struggle trying to sort the wishlist to determine what's on top. I think the answer is a second "good" body - Rebel XTi backing up a 1D Mark III is just too much of a mismatch. But, I want a set of the new PocketWizard goodies...and in the lens department I can't decide whether to get the 24-70, 35L, or 24L2 next.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

All I know is that I wasplanning on a new snowboard deck for this summer. Not gonna happen. haha. Strobe kit and lens took that place. My parents were astonished when I said I'd rather save up for some lenses than a car. Afterall, a car means: up front price + insurance + gas. Why pay that when I can take their car?

Being content is a hard lesson in the first place. Canon makes it no easier.