Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Re: "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Like everyone else, I spend lots on nice Canon stuff. How I justify it is that it's the equivalent to other people buying boats, 4x4's, campers, snowmobiles, cabins at the lake, etc. (One of my buddies who has a 4x4, camper, and boat is getting bitten by the photo bug after seeing results of my stuff. He has a Rebel XT, just got his second L lens, and now wants a better body.)

I'm with you all on this.

It's legit valuation, I think. You'd NEVER catch me dead dropping any money on a TV, ever, but last year I threw a grand at getting a nice NEC monitor. I refuse to pay money to have the dents dinged out of my car, but I'll spend my 35L away for a $200 repair the second it gets soft on me.

For me it's a consumption/production thing. I hate the idea of being a good little consumerist and buying more crap with my wages; but having the tools which let me make pretty, pretty photos-- a joy which is initself devoid of commercial perverversions and corporate interests-- is worh a lot to me.

A least most of what we buy (in terms of good quality Canon lenses) can be resold for only a pretty minor loss...

Most the other stuff people spend their money on really retain very little resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

I think that's the way to go. They just don't understand us []

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]In my family it is practically a sin to sell a firearm. As a former Marine and shooting enthusiast I find myself literally emotionally attached to them. So, when I tell you I sold my Smith and Wesson .500 to buy photography equipment it should state allot.I have other interest in life but can only grudgingly bring myself to spend any money on them now.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I have buddies who spend thousands on a custom rifle and over a thousand on glass (a scope) to go on it. They think I'm nutty for planning to get a $1600.00 lens. These same guys shoot nothing but paper with their expensive rifles. They don't even hunt! I've got some fine rifles myself from my bacheloryearsbut find myself thinking: Hmmm...if I sold this one I could get a 5D MII a nice lens... Or if I sold that one it could be my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS... I'm still sick about the .500.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Why could I not have gotten into photograph when I was single and had the cash to spare?

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]YES, it is an illness, no doubt. [:S]
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

hahah cool and thanks for your service

I ordered a Pelican case for my growing camera gear collection (wasn't fitting in a shoulder bag anymore) and ordered a case for my Para-Ordnance P13.45 (and extras) at the same time. There are a number of things I'd like to spend on it (some custom work, a built in laser, etc) but I always think: I'll be shooting much more with the camera equipment!

Love my pelican case. Best investment, well birthday gift ever.

Exactly, I can go to my field and shoot pictures everyday, even before work ( best time to find dew drops on the grass ). But have to drive 60 to 90 miles one way to shoot my guns ( Cowboy Action Shooting ) , and thats just once a week.

Maybe you should consider archery.

I shoot inside my bedroom, if it's too dark in the yard.[]

Of course the neighbors would be irritated if they found their cat with a stray arrow through it.... just don't draw aiming up...