Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Re: Starting my own business. Any tips on how to name it?

Maybe play with the word "Exposed".

Life Exposed... Exposure of Life...

How about: Exposed Moments by John Osterman

Thanks. But for now I will stick with madebymadison on my (temporary) website. When I set up the studio it will be studio madison. Simple, my (first) name in it, it will reflect that I have a studio and it will be bilingual because the Dutch word for studio is identical to the English word.

Cory

haha Northern Exposures! Perfect play on words.

Madison thanks for all the tips. I need to figure this out, so I can make a card. People are hounding me to get a card so they can give it to their friends. I don't have any formal training, so right now I'm making sure people know I'm new, and have yet to take classes, which I will as soon as I can. Do you think any online courses would be helpful? Or should I strictly stick with hands on classes?

I prefer hands on classes but it's different for everyone. I tought myself. Found out I needed more. Did a basics course to refresh, enrolled in photo school but didn't find what I need. Enrolled in a course with a Dutch word press winning photograph and became inspired again, and am switching to a proper photography academy in september to study further. Meanwhile I read a lot and go to places like this to learn. (I studied graphic design before and was an art director for many many years before I wanted to change carreers). You should investigate what it is you want to learn and what you need, and then look for the right place/method for YOU. It's different for everyone, like I said. You'll be fine. People are already asking you for cards.

As far as being new: take the jobs you feel confident about, and don't take the ones you feel may get you in over your head. Your confidence will grow and so will your portfolio and then you can move over to bigger assignments.

As for cards: think from a practical perspective. What if clients call? Can you identify who is a client and who is not? If you name your business a business you need a seperate phone line. If your name is on the card and you pick up with Osterman, they know it is you and they have the right person. Otherwise they call your house or cell, you answer with 'Osterman' or something and they expect it to be answered by a company called 'x' (Northern Exposures) (ps: there was a tv show called that in the 80s I think). All things to consider.

There you go, Northern Exposures by John Osterman.

Now you just need to figure out a logo or photograph (think: northern lights?) to put on the business cards. Get yourself a domain name (you might have a little trouble with the name (looks like www.northernexposuresphotography.com is open).

And, regarding the phone line and potential customers, just have your name on your voicemail "You've reached John Osterman..."

Thanks for all the ideas Madison. I'll keep an open mind about everything. And yes, I knew about that Northern Exposure show. haha Hence the play on words.

Cory, I'm actually kind of liking the Northern Exposures by Osterman idea. I live in Maine, so you can't get further north in the U.S. Where are you from, by the way...just curious? You said the Sound was near you, so that gives me a hint.

Then come up with a card/slogan for that. hmmmm the wheels commence turning.

I'm on the exact opposite side from you I think.

I always tell people "Seattle" because that's what almost anyone will recognize... but I really live halfway between Seattle and Tacoma (maybe 20 miles south of Seattle) in a city called Federal Way. Grew up here for the most part, but I like the location because it's between the two cities in terms of commuting.

I'm really hoping to get out and do a lot of shooting this summer. I just replaced my original 300D (first Canon Digi SLR made) with a 50D and bought the Canon 24-105 f/4.0 L lens for my Christmas present to myself. The Northwest is just amazing for photo oportunites. You've got the Olympic Rainforest/National Park out on the peninsula, some of the small towns out there that have a lot of personaly. You have the Puget Sound itself for landscape/water shots along with the potential wildlife (Whales, Orca, Seals, Dolphins). You have Mt Raineer (and the National Forest there), Mt Hood, Mt Baker, Mt St Helens and just the Cascade Mountain Range in general. You have Seattle itself for 'big city' and it's Waterfront (Pike Place Market is a great spot - oldest continually open public market west of the Mississippi I believe) and Tacoma is slowly becoming a more 'serious' city I guess you'd say (athough the city and many of its inhabitants might wag their fingers at me for saying that - it really is a real city, its always been in Seattles shadow). And if you head over to the eastern side of Washington State you've got a more desert like landscape.

Yup, you are! Maine and Washington. They are pretty similar, but as far as cities go you've got us beat. haha Portland, our biggest city.....60,000 strong. lol I lived near Seattle for a little while when I was in 4th grade. YEARS ago!

We've got tons of good ops out here. We have a desert, mountain ranges, lakes, rivers, and over 3000 miles of coast line. I can't wait to get out on a weekend trip and just go to Acadia park (of which Bryan has sample pictures up on this site) and take pictures dawn till dusk.

I bought my first DSLR, the 50D this year. It came with the kit 18-50 and 55-250. I returned the 250 because it was defective. I now have the 18-50, 10-22, 28-135, 50 1.8, and this month I'll be getting the 17-50 2.8 and 100mm 2.8 macro.

I'm getting a 70-200 2.8 IS as a gift in another month or two, and next year, I'll invest in the 100-400. I'm hoping the new one of those is announced between now and then, so I can get a newer version. Eventually, if all that money pays off and I start going somewhere, I'll go full frame down the line, but as far as I'm concerned, the 50D will do anything I'll really need to do. As long as I have a quality lens attached!

That's kinda funny... sounds like we'll end up with similar kits.

I started with the 300D that came with the basic short zoom (18-55mm?) and immediately bought the first IS Zoom Canon made (the 75-300mm IS USM) and took those over to England/Wales for a month long trip.

Then I found Bryans site here and replaced my starter lens with the Tarmon 17-50mm f/2.8 before I was supposed to go to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta (we ended up not going, but I hope to in the next year or two).

This last December I bought my 50D and 24-105mm L and shortly after bought the 10-22mm EF-S IS USM (that lens really impressed me yesterday - took it up in a B-17 flight and got some 1.0-2.5 second hand held shots that are actually quite usable).

I just bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 as I wanted a indoor low-light lens for family and friendly get-togethers and I'm headed back over to England/Scotland again in a month or two and will be visiting the Tower of London. I've been in it before so I know I'll need that lens to get good shots in there and inside some of the more intact castles (Arundel Castle in particular).

My next buy will be either the 70-200 f/2.8 IS or the 100-400mm. Since there seems to be a buzz about a new 100-400mm if there isn't one out before I have the spare cash I'll get the 70-200 first I think, but if the 100-400 is out by then I'll get it.

So I should end up with...

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 IS, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 IS EX Di II, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, and Canon 100-400 L. I will probably pick up the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro and eventually the Canon MP-E 65mm x1-5 Macro lens. And THEN I'll consider the 50 and 85mm 1.2 L's...

I really need to do some research and start to do what you're doing.

Hey Cory, shoot me an email. jcosterman@gmail.com