Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Kids on a Swing (40D)

Shooting Kids on a Swing (40D)

I'm wondering how effective you rate the AI Focus / AI Servo modes on the 40D. I'm shooting kids on a swing set, and my hit rate is about 1 in 5.

I stand in front of the swing set; the kids move near to far through the frame. I frame the shot in AI Servo or AI Focus, half-press the shutter and follow the swing while I wait for focus. The problem is, much of the time I miss when the child is in focus - by the time I press the shutter release all the way down, focus is gone.

I've tried AF at the apex of the swing (generally where I want to capture), then switching to MF and taking shots this way, with a little better hit rate. I've also tried One Shot AF with so-so results, again about 1 in 5.

Is this just a tough shot to get, or am I misusing the AF modes? Is AF the right approach, or should a photographer expect to MF shots like these and get mostly "hits?"

So far I've used 40D, 70-200 2.8 IS, ~ 1/250. The hits look great; I'd like to get more of them!

Thanks for any thoughts you'd like to share...

Re: Shooting Kids on a Swing (40D)

Use 1 point AF, I'd use the center point and AI Servo for this kind of situation.

Using one shot I've locked focus and shot everytime they hit that point in the swing. Results are about90%.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I use MF. Using the first swing to try and focus a bit, then wait for the next one to take the picture. Of course each swing is a bit further away as they slow down, so it's somewhat difficult still.

Thanks guys -

With the 1 point AF (center) method with AF Servo, would you follow the swing or would you wait for the top of the swing, and just hold the frame there - waiting till she comes back into focus?

The problem is that Servo tells the camera to follow focus, so while you're waiting for the swing to come back toward you, the camera has been focusing on the background. The swing is only "still" for an instant, and Servo just doesn't grab focus quickly enough to catch it.

I guess I'll just keep trying different things.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It sounds like this shot is a particularly difficult one to get...

If you are handholding the camera, just move it with the swing, keeping the center AF point on the kids face, every picture should be in perfect focus. I use AF Servo to track bikes going 100mph, don't see why a swing would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    So far I've used 40D, 70-200 2.8 IS, ~ 1/250. The hits look great; I'd like to get more of them!

Are you using the lens at F2.8? If so, you probably would get a better hit rate by using f5.6 or f8.0, as those apertures have more depth-of-field.

I typically use one shot autofocus, with a single selected autofocus point. I might either let the camera focus on the point I want, and then wait until they get to that point again to squeeze all the way, or when they get in position, squeeze down, in which case the camera will take the picture as soon as it establishes focus.

Either way, it seems to work best when they're highest in the cycle, and as a result, moving the least, maybe just with some wind in the hair.

Wow, the second one is sweet! Very nice and unusual angle! Nice and clean background. The red color of the shirt with the deep blue sky background is so cool - simply a great picture.

I agree with Oren, love the second one!

That might be a nice adrenaline rush too, trying to focus and snap a shot before she swings back and costs you some serious money on repairs. Hmm. If I ever feel brave and bored enough this summer, I might just have to give that a try. lol

-Rodger