Thread: 2010 G8 Summit to be Held in Huntsville, ON

2010 G8 Summit to be Held in Huntsville, ON

I have always said "Darn! I wish I was them" at all of the Reuters, Associated Press, and Getty photographers shooting world events like the Olympics and international meetings.

With the 2010 G8 Summit which will be held in June of next year, I very well might be able to get some very cool pictures of world leaders from the US, France, United Kingdom, Russia, Germany, Japan, and Italy...

and of course our Prime Minister Stephen Harper... []

With my cottage 10 minutes away from Deerhurst Resort, where the summit will be held, I hope that I'll be able to get some images of the leaders.

Has anybody had experience with these sorts of things? I've got plenty of time to prepare....

And I'll have saved enough to get my own 70-200 2.8 L IS by then [H]

Re: 2010 G8 Summit to be Held in Huntsville, ON

I would suggest using a Canon Powershot G8 for your main camera. [H] Also, make sure that you have all the necessary paperwork done (I'd imagine that there would be lots) so that you can get close enough to get pictures. (Or buy a Canon EF 1200/5.6L USM.)

Yeah, basically. I should count on little or no access to the "real stuff".

I was a little pumped when I wrote that... [:S]

I don't think time is your enemy...name/experience/credentials will be the enemy. The big-name photographers/organizations want to have as much exclusivity as possible, to help drive viewers to their images, so you will have a hard time getting access without an affiliation with a media group.

Translated: it took me a long time to realize that "I want a picture of X" is not enough justification to allow me to take my camera everywhere. I may want a picture of <famous-person>, but <famous-person> is famous and wants to control the images shown to the public of their likeness.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.