Thread: Discrete photography....

Discrete photography....

In response to the post about street photography, or rather, some of the comments made there by Stefan, I would be curious to hear some comments on how to be discrete in photographing strangers. I am interested in three topics, but welcome other comments:

First, what are your thoughts on getting over the awkward feeling of photographing strangers who know you are photographing them (just do it a lot?)?

Second, what are some tips to avoid detection (obviously size of camera/lens, color...Stefan said take a girl when you are shooting children)?

Third, are there any legal issues with photographing strangers? At what point do you need a photo release?

And of course I welcome any humorous or shocking stories of related situations. Thanks!

Re: Discrete photography....

I shoot weddings and sports and the sporting events generate lots of opportunities to shoot the crowd, the band, the drill team, etc. Usually, discrete is not an option with a big white lens pointing at someone, so I just find myself shooting away. My daughter shoots a lot for her school paper and yearbook. Again, discrete really isn't much of an option as the gear really stands out.

I have noticed people fall into two categories pretty quickly. Some immediately play to the camera and others immediately look like Sean Penn after an all night bender. I focus my attention on the folks who are obviously comfortableand I don't spend much time shooting the folks who look annoyed.

If you are shooting kids, cheerleaders or gymnasts, talk to aparent BEFORE snapping away. Ifind cheerleading momsand dads to be some of the most protective and they will confront you if they are uncomfortable withyour presence.You will be readily accepted as soon as you get their childrenon the cover of Saturday's sports section!

As for releases, there are entirebooks on the subject and you probably don't need as many as you think. This is especially true if you are shooting a public event.