Thread: Question for those of you printing your own pics....

Question for those of you printing your own pics....

....what type of printer are you using?

My Canon MP960 (ink jet) is probably shot....I'm going to try 1 more fix suggestion from a print repair company.

If this is unsuccessful, I'll be in the market for a new printer.....suggestions?

I'm looking at the pigment printers w/a budget around 700 bucks.

Thanks

Bill

Re: Question for those of you printing your own pics....

I personally prefer Epson printers. The R1900 is what we have at the studio, and the R2880 produces stunning black and whites. Both are 13x19 compatible. Now if I want a large mega print, I cheat and use my offices HP plotter.........

I use a cheap HP D7360 ( 8.5x11 inch ), excellent colors, but uses lots of ink: $10 a cartage. A customer brought in a printer ( kodak maybe ) that promised cheaper ink usage, but the colors were no were close. I would love to have a large format printer, so will follow replies to see what others are using.

Bill

I have the Epson R1800 (pre R1900). People are amazed when they see my prints and I tell them I print from home.

I am looking into buying a printer right now and am not sure which one to choose. I think I have it narrowed down to the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 and the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II. They are, after rebates, approximately the same price, so that isn't a factor.

I look forward to printing color and B&W both, so if one specializes and one is more versatile, I will probably lean towards versatility. I assume either offers outstanding print quality.

I look forward to any and all feedback!

Bill,

Here are questions I would ponder if I had 700 bucks toput into a newprinter,

1) Computer; PC or Mac?

2) Digital Workflow; sRGB or Adobe Color?Are you using color management?

3) Applications that your're printing from; DPP, CS3/CS4, etc.?

4) What size output are you looking for; 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 13x19, etc?

5) Do you care about "superb" black and white photos or were the ones from your MP960 good enough?

6) Do you care about print media? i.e fine art papers, etc.or just glossy photo?

7)Operational costs; Ink usage and price. How much does this matter?

8) Archival quality; Do you need the printsto last for 100s of years? LOL

I'm sure there are more things to consider. If anyones see something in the list that I'm missing please add it.

FYI, I currently use a HP D7560 four color inkjet. I like HP advanced photo paper and the fact that I can purchase XL cartridges because of the 19" sister model the B8550. I use it for wall art for my favs and proofing stuff I send off to have commercially printed. The blue, like the 7360 "02" 6 cartridge series, is a little over the top but for the most part the prints are very vibrant, smooth gradient, and sharp detailed. Compared to commercial Ritz, I like the HP output better. I also love the convienence of the readily available 4x6 advanced paper and print kits as well as 5x7 adv.paper. Staples runs a three dollar return cartridge credit that keeps my cost to under 20 cents/4x6 print. The only downside for some is that beyond sRGB and Adobe1998 the driver does not accept ICC profiles. This matters not to me.

For what your spending I'd be looking at an HP 9180Bbut that's me. I'm a PC running sRGB!! []

My8Abes,

Chuck