Thread: What Editing system should i get?

What Editing system should i get?

I have just recently become interested in photography and I was wondering what type of Editing system i should get... i dont have a huge budjet

i was thinking either adobe Elements 7 or Adobe lightroom 2...

any suggestions??

Re: What Editing system should i get?

I am not familiar with Elements nor with Lightroom, but I would recommend that you look into Photoshop CS3, which became much more affordable since the new CS4 came out. Good luck.

I think Lightroom is better than Elements or photoshop for a beginner.

Lightroom makes the easy stuff easy, but the hard stuff is impossible.

Photoshop makes the hard stuff possible, but the easy stuff is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Well put.

I use Aperture on the Mac side and you will always need Photoshop no matter. Apple supposedly has a full fledge image editing program waiting in the wings should they have a falling out with Adobe. I would love to see this, since Adobe seems to be the second coming of Microsoft lately.

I'm fairly new to serious digital photograph but I've been using various versions of photoshop forabout ten years. I've repaired tons of vintage photos, sometimes even for profit.Last yearI switched from a less than legal copy of CS2 to Elements 6. The only thing I miss is the history brush. I'd recommend Elements 7 in a heartbeat. As a registered user of Elements 6 I received an offer for a reduced price on CS4. The same would be likely for a registered Elements 7 user when CS5 comes out. This way you wade in rather than jumping in on the deep end. Go ahead and get some kind of book on it when you get it if you are not familiar with photo editing.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

[H] That is one of the best statements about Photoshop and Lightroom I have seen.

I would simply jump in, endure the learning curve and download Elements 7. I think its about $80 from Adobe. Not easy to learn, but lots of power.

Larry

Pick up a cheap Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet. You'll get a tablet w/ pen, mouse, "Photoshop Elements 6.0", "Corel Painter Essentials 4.0" and something called "Nik® Color Efex™ Pro 3.0 WE3". Suggested retail is US$99 / CAD$129. If Adobe is selling elements alone for $80, I know I'd personally rather get a bit more software and a tablet for $19... unless Elements 7 adds something super critical.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Elements 7. You only need CS if your going to run a studio. You can do pretty much any thing you want or need to do with Elements. When you want more advanced, you can still do it with Elements (also for a lot less cash). You can adjust exposure, white balance (in RAW) ,you can do layers when you become more advanced, remove unwanted objects from spots to people, basicly 99% of what you need to do to make your images look like you want them to look. I would also suggest a good book on the subject like "the photoshop elements 7 book" by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski. I belive Kelby to be the authorityon all things Photoshop.

JeffersonPoster