Thread: eliminating movement on 100-400 zoom

Alan

eliminating movement on 100-400 zoom

Not sure if this discussion belongs here, but it does have a lot to do with image capture.

I have the 100-400 L zoom. I always use the lens plate holder when shooting on a tripod.

When shooting with this lens extended to 400, I always seem to get a little bounce to the lens when releasing the shutter. Even with mirror lockup, the lens wobbles a bit. I shoot with a remote switch when mounted on the tripod, with the rare exception of a timed shot out of the camera.

The tripod I'm using is a mag fiber Manfrotto (055MF4):

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/tripod.jpg[/img]

I mount the lens on this Manfrotto ballhead. It can handle 11 lbs:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/BG322RC2.JPG[/img]

Even if there isn't any wind pushing the lens around, which is another headache, I can't seem to get the lens/system to be absolutely still.

On a recent shoot, I was at the long end of the zoom, and it was a bit windy. Fortunately, I was near a deck that had a railing, so I rested the end of the lens on the top of the railing, with the tripod attached. This worked fine. No movement.

Is there something out there that I should buy, or is there something more I should be doing to prevent this lens movement from happening?

Re: eliminating movement on 100-400 zoom

I hate to say it, but it's probably your ballhead. Have the 055xprob and had a manfrotto ballhead. As soon as I switched to the Arca Swiss Z1, the bounce went away.

Probably a silly question, but when you're using the tri-pod you are turning off the IS right?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Cory

Probably a silly question, but when you're using the tri-pod you are turning off the IS right?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Cory, yep, the IS is off. I check every time I use it.

Thanks, Don. That's all I need, is to buy more equipment...[]..but if your experience shows it eliminates the bounce (your tripod is similar to mine), I guess that's the way I'll do it.

holy ___.

I just looked at the price of the ballhead i now want....

Not going to get that for awhile. Will make due with mirror lockup feature and a release, and avoid windy days

Don't have to convince me, though. I've got the vertical grip version of the manfroto ball head. Functionally, it's kind of cool, though it's already starting to slip, and both manfroto ball heads I've had were a little squishy, (set it, then let gravity move it where it wants, then set it again and hope gravity moves it where you wanted it).

Cripes. This never ends.

Try leaning on the lens - left hand out in front of the tripod mount plane, and right hand on the camera. I've heard a lot of wildlife photographers give that position a lot of praise for good sharpness technique.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Alan

Don, just to let you know that the Arca Swiss Z1 fixed the movement issue with the 100-400. Thanks.

This ballhead is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Don, just to let you know that the Arca Swiss Z1 fixed the movement issue with the 100-400. Thanks.

This ballhead is outstanding!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The great thing about these sites is everyone is always willing to help you spend money.

Glad it worked out. []