Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40D or T1i?

40D or T1i?

Which camera is better 40D or Rebel T1i??

Re: 40D or T1i?

Which fruit is better apples or oranges?

As for your question, I think it depends on what you value in a camera. :-)

(I do realize how unhelpful this post is...but you might want to clue us in on how you want to use the camera, what your experience level is, and the qualities you value in your current camera if you have one).

The Rebel series is a great beginner camera. I think that many people start with a Rebel series camera and then eventually upgrade to an XXD camera (like the 40D) or else to a full-frame camera (like the 5D Mark II or 1D series) if they become more than just a casual shooter. If you're learning, you might want to buy the T1i as it's geared for someone at a beginner level (at an entry-level price as well).

You need to tell us what your need is. With the limited information you gave us.

My brief answer for you is 40D

You need to know that they are in different class. The 40D came out in August 2007 and was replaced by the 50D a year ago. The T1i is the most current camera in the Rebel class. The xxD is a class higher than the Rebel/xxxD.

40D is to a 3 year-old Camaro, the T1i isto abrand new Malibu

I guess from your username that you are a female, right?

I believe that some females find the xxD bodies to be too big and heavy for them, so I suggest that you go and see both cameras at the store.

Personally, I'd go with the 40D without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Which fruit is better apples or oranges?

I've got a problem. I like both []

just go to shop n try both then u'll know which 1 to go... for me... sure 40D... hehe

Rebel:
    Higher res screen, higher megapixels, better ISO performance, 3ish photos a second, 1/4000th max shutter, updated menu system, on screen flash controls, live view for critical focus, video

40D:
    Lower res screen, lower megapixels, 6ish photos a second, 1/8000 max shutter, live view, ports for shutter remotes, more accurate autofocus.

Emma

I own the 450D and just purchased a 40D as the current price is amazing. (In my opinion) unless you intend on shooting actionI doubtyou are going to benefitthat much from the 40D over the 500D. The size and the ISO performance etc are probably going to be more of a benefit to you than the frame rate and AF performance, which are the two big drawcards for the 40D.

The problem will be if you get inspired to do start shooting wildlife or sports etc you will very soon be jealous of the xxD owners firing away at 6fps and getting the shots. One wildlife shoot with big cats running around was all the convincing I needed that although my Rebel could do the job I really needed a xxD to get the shots I wanted.

Hope this helps

40d has better iso performance than the 50d, let alone the T1i. The pixels are smaller on 50d to fit them all in - hence more noise. 40d is superior in every way to a T1i except in resolution, and LCD screen.

Go for a 40d. You wont be disapointed, and you'll save a hundred or so dollar towards better glass.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/180|0/(appareil2)/319|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

Quote Originally Posted by KeVancity
    40d has better iso performance than the 50d, let alone the T1i. The pixels are smaller on 50d to fit them all in - hence more noise.

That is a common misconception:

Myth busted: smaller pixels have more noise, less dynamic range

Specifically, here is a link demonstrating that the 50D has the same "ISO performance" as the 40D:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=30211624