Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighting advice/recommendations?

Re: Lighting advice/recommendations?

I went with RadioPopper due in part to the interference problem (and a few other reasons). Great product, but the company's not so hot... they're months and months behind on product release dates (ie I was told their new JrX would be out "on time" in April, May latest, a week before they were set to ship... they still aren't out. You can't tell me they didn't have some sort of idea a week before that they weren't gonna make their own deadline) and their website is never updated. They're also a bit pricey (you can't order a transceiver, it either sends or receives, not both like some of the PW's can)... but like I said, great product. The only thing they don't have that I kinda miss sometimes is a second curtain sync option (which the PW Multimax can fake by delaying the flash output signal just a pinch) but Canon's Wireless E-TTL doesn't have that anyways so it's not like I lost anything.

You could always whip out the pc cords too

Quote Originally Posted by bardinjw

The only problems I've heard of are with the new canon ttl models that have issues with interference from the speedlight itself. The Plus II models still work great though. I went with cybersyncs because they're much less expensive, and I don't think I'll ever need the extra range.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'm starting to lean more towards the PocketWizards now. The functionality and build quality looks great and, as long as interference isn't really going to be a problem, they're perfect.

The RadioPoppers still do seem like a slightly better product for me, but its waiting to see how much longer they delay the JrX. If they can get them out soon (or announce a reliable, soon-ish release date), then I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by lculpin

You could always whip out the pc cords too

But wireless has so much more sex appeal

On a serious note though, the pc cords seem to have a lot less control than the shoe cords, which themselves aren't long enough. I've seen longer shoe cords on eBay but the build quality looks questionable. The last thing I want is a 430EX II falling off its stand.

I'm new to lighting too. I also have an XSi/450D. I've got two430EXs and aST-E2to control them. I just got an Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit from B&amp;Hthat I'm enjoying. It's better than the price would seem to indicate. Everyone says the umbrellas are small at 32 inches but for getting started out they seem large enough, good for tight spaces (not to mention thin wallets). They start seeming huge at relatives houses that have 8 footceilings.

It's amazing what lighting can do. I've still got lens lust but it's between flareups on count ofST-E2is good enough for now, not to mention relatively cheap. I suspect itwould still be handy for indoor portraits, making your setups less cumbersome, even after you get an RF solution.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Got this today

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&amp;A=details&amp;Q=&amp;sku =75852&amp;is=REG

and after a handful of shots, I am a big fan. It reminds me of that Annie Leibovitz lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I'm new to lighting too. I also have an XSi/450D. I've got two430EXs and aST-E2to control them. I just got an Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit from B&amp;Hthat I'm enjoying. It's better than the price would seem to indicate. Everyone says the umbrellas are small at 32 inches but for getting started out they seem large enough, good for tight spaces (not to mention thin wallets). They start seeming huge at relatives houses that have 8 footceilings.

It's amazing what lighting can do. I've still got lens lust but it's between flareups on count ofST-E2is good enough for now, not to mention relatively cheap. I suspect itwould still be handy for indoor portraits, making your setups less cumbersome, even after you get an RF solution.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I've been considering ordering something around a 32-inch and a 60-inch together. That way I can start off with the 32-inch but if the occasion calls for it, can get some practice in with the larger umbrella.

Unfortunately a lot of my upcoming work will be in tricky situations to rely on the RF. But at the same time, the PocketWizard's may be a little out of my budget. What I may do is purchase a 580EX II and use that as an RF master, just until I can get the PocketWizard in my pocket (pun intended).

Again I'd like to thank you all for terrific comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OiCecil

Unfortunately a lot of my upcoming work will be in tricky situations to rely on the RF. But at the same time, the PocketWizard's may be a little out of my budget. What I may do is purchase a 580EX II and use that as an RF master, just until I can get the PocketWizard in my pocket (pun intended).

I believe Sean Setters uses: http://www.alienbees.com/remotes.html

I use: http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16766 My setup here: http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/t/1278.aspx

Both get the job done for way less than PWs.

Chuck

Yep, Chuck's right, I use Cybersyncs. I had used the Cactus V2s and CTR-301 radio triggers before upgrading, though. The reliability of Cybersyncs has made them well worth the added expense for me, especially when compared to the cost of Pocketwizards. However, they are designed to trigger manually adjusted flashes only--no TTL. I'm fine with that limitationhaving become quite comfortable manually adjusting flashes over the last couple of years.

Are CyberSyncs&trade; compatible with the:
    • Canon 580EX II Speedlite?
    • Canon 430EX Speedlite?

Quote Originally Posted by OiCecil

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Canon's built in remote triggering isInfrared (<span style="font-family: Verdana;"]IR), like you TV remote, hence it's natural limitations. In alarge room (25 footX 15 foot)in my house I don't need special consideration in my setup for my ST-E2to trigger my flashes. Even when using the umbrellas as shoot thru and locating them slightly behind the camera. I'm betting the ST-E2(and surely the 580EX or 580EX II) puts out quite a blast of IR, I'd like to get look at it with NVGs.<o></o>
    <span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Pocketwizards and the like areRadio Frequency (<span style="font-family: Verdana;"]RF). Of course RF issuperiorin range, not susceptible to sunlight interference,and to my understanding can sync at higher shutter speeds. The only downside is if you want TTL support. Of all the RF systems I believe the new Pocketwizards are the only ones that support it. As a relative beginner I hate to give up that crutch. I may change my mind/get more competentbefore I get an RF system though.<o></o>

T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Are CyberSyncs&trade; compatible with the:
    • Canon 580EX II Speedlite?
    • Canon 430EX Speedlite?

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes, however you need a way to plug in the Cybersync receiver to the flash. I personally use this from FlashZebra. It allows me to use the Cybersync with all of my flashes (exceptthe Vivitar DF400MZ for some reason). You can even purchase a slave trigger with a miniphone jack that will allow you to fire the flash optically.

I know the 580EX II has a sync port built in, which could be used I'm sure, but I don't know what kind of male cord it requires.