Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Train Depot Self-Portrait

Re: Train Depot Self-Portrait

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Let's see...for the black & white conversion on this series I believe I went to LAYER-->NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER-->CHANNEL MIXER, Clicked OK, then checked "MONOCHROME." You can adjust the REDS, BLUES, and GREENS separately, but I find the default of REDS at 100% to be very good for creating flattering skin tones while producing pleasing contrast in the image.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

OOOOOH, that was easy and cool, thanks for sharing. I just made my bulldog in B&amp;W and it looks better than my previous attempts. Cannot vouch for skin tones as she has a fur, but it still looks good. I am going to dig up some two leggers and give it a try. Thanks!

Now....can I send you all my photos to fix them, LOL [] ?

Honestly, I prefer to do as little photoshop as possible. However, if I really like a photo, I'll do whatever it takes to make it look the best that it can. Most of the time, I do "transparent" editing--that is, the viewer typically isn't able to tell anything's been done. Every now and then I do some editing that's a bit more obvious, like the vignetting in that picture you liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Honestly, I prefer to do as little photoshop as possible. However, if I really like a photo, I'll do whatever it takes to make it look the best that it can. Most of the time, I do "transparent" editing--that is, the viewer typically isn't able to tell anything's been done. Every now and then I do some editing that's a bit more obvious, like the vignetting in that picture you liked.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yup, this is my goal, I do not like over-PS-ed images, but that is just my taste. I do not PS at all because I barely know how to. But I do like B&amp;W and PS comes handy in this case. Unfortunately I am not good at it yet, lack of time is the main reason, too many hours at work...

I will get better, I know, this forum is really teaching me a lot and I am devouring books on DP whenever I get a chance. Hope to get as good as you are.

Sean, you do amazing work. Get a blog if you don't have one. Not that I'm a pro or even advanced amateur, but I find that alot of my "business" came through word of mouth or people seeing my blog and then the Flickr page after that. You'll get the gigs soon enough!

I took a PS class at school last year and loved it. Enough to get Scott Kelby's book on CS1 (rockin the old school software here at home!). I thought I loved all the editing I could do.

Now I find that unless I'm doing a "paid" gig, I only use DPP. (paid meaning a $50 flat fee for some senior portraits that some adventurous classmates are trusting me with [:O]) Anyways, now I'm learning the value of shooting something right on camera so I don't have to piss around in post for hours on end. Just my 2 cents.

Sean, I really like this image. Excellent usage of lighting, I like its lighting and colors, the composition works very well. How could I miss this thread all these time.

BES - Photoshop certainly takes some time before you feel competent in what you're doing. It's certainly worth some effort, though. The most important things to get comfortable with (in my opinion) is how to use layer masks effectively, the clone &amp; stamp tools, and dodging &amp; burning. With that knowledge, you can just about "fix" any annoying issues you have with an image.

Rodger - If it's a paid gig, I'll probably edit 5 images. Outside of that, I do simple color balance/exposure adjustments in DPP and burn the images onto a disc.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen - Welcome to the party! (thanks you)