Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Depot Self-Portrait

Train Depot Self-Portrait

Well, my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 arrived today. You know I had to try it out...

[EXIF of original portrait image added] f/5.0, 0.8 sec, 12mm, ISO 200

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/_5F00_MG_5F00_6076_5F00_crop-small.jpg[/img]

strobist: 1 Vivitar 285HV, camera right, full power, with a CTO gel, shot through a SaxonPC 15 degree grid in foam housing. Triggered via Cybersyncs.

Re: Train Depot Self-Portrait

Wow, gorgeous! Really well done! Thoughtful composition, nice use of flash, impeccable aesthetics with a very evocative mood.

But....

I can see the glare of the flash unit off the right-side window. That's the only thing I would try to change. [:S]

That might be a street light too I think.

When I hear "Tokina 11-16" I actually think on landscape pictures more than portraits, but anyway, I like your dramatic night shots Sean.

Cheers

Sean ol mate, love it, it has that 50's look, well done. I really admire your work, you take the time and effort to set the scene to tell a story and it works. Maybe one day I could be as good as you,.......I wish.

Scott[]

Could you give some extra EXIFdetails please.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Wow, gorgeous! Really well done! Thoughtful composition, nice use of flash, impeccable aesthetics with a very evocative mood.

But....

I can see the glare of the flash unit off the right-side window. That's the only thing I would try to change. [img]/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yeah, I actually considered taking the glare of the flash out. However, I finally think I figured out a decent way to do it. An edited one should in the original post. It's not perfect, but at least it's not as glaring as the one where you can see the strobe so clearly in the glass.

Great job Sean! Love the composition!! Did you look at it in B&amp;W at all? I wonder how well it would translate. The warm brick on the left and the muted tones in the right side of the frame really create a cool effect. I guess I'd hate to lose that awesome "Cream City" sign to B&amp;W...maybe color is the best []

This is a great shot. i love the mood and composition, and that 50's feel to it. Nice!

I also wondered about B&amp;W as this is my favorite form, but I also like "warm" pictures and this one fits the bill. Did you shoot RAW, did you post-process ?

Another masterpiece from Mr. Setters. You never cease to amaze me. Great stuff!

Sean,

Very Cool!

I saw something I thought I'd suggest. If you could do this again would it be possible to add snoot 10ft above you full power. 1/2 power your grid as a fill for a noire street light look. The composition might have to change but to methat scene cries out for the "street light" cone of light.

You're photos are definitely inspiring!

Chuck

Great picture Sean! absolutely love the atmosphere in the shot. Very nicely done.

joel