Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with hummingbirds

Alan

Re: Help with hummingbirds

Bill, very good suggestions. Thanks.

I like the business card idea to focus. I'll use that.

I have gotten some shots where he has backed off, so I know what you're referring to.

Do you think that including blocking off one spigot, I could also tie up that perch with a thin string or fishing line, to keep the perch from swinging in a breeze?

I think I was about 12 feet away from the end of the lens. I'm going to move it closer.

The reason I kept the shutter fast, was 'cause I thought the bird would flit so fast, that it would be best to try to capture any quick movements. But, I'll slow the shutter down a bit. Should I also stop down then? f/10 or higher?

I'm looking forward to trying all of these suggestions, and the others, too.

Al

Re: Help with hummingbirds

Al....positively move your aperture around to see what works best for you. The day I shot the pictures, I referenced in the earlier suggestion, I was shooting 8 to 11 (photos were 9). Use a larger AP # and experiment, this is one of the benefits of shooting at lower lens speeds. Don't be afraid to go lower on shutter speeds either....again experiment.

Re string; why not....if the wind moves the feeder that much. Also, I've removed the perch from my feeder to capture in flight shots only.

I forgot to mention Al....I use a 40D and removed the AF from the shutter release so I may activate the camera to check metering w/out changing the focus. Yes, I could turn the AF off, but what about the butterfly or bee that needs a quick focus to capture? I also don't let the camera go to sleep....for I've missed some shots due to the camera's reactiviation, though fast, the AI Servo takes another moment.

I've also discovered I can carry on a conversation w/my wife and the HBs don't mind, but if I move, they become agitated and, the males in particular, leave.

Regards

Bill