Thread: Chicago Botanic Gardens Trip

Chicago Botanic Gardens Trip

Hi!

The following pictures were all taken one afternoon at the Chicago Botanic Garden. These are the best three. Further this is my first serious stab at post processing, so let me know if you think I have been to heavy handed with anything. The pictures were all taken on a Digital Rebel XTi with the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II Canon lens mounted on a Slik U-212 tripod.

I had non-electronic macro rings mounted for this shot. This picture is the only one of the three not done on my tripod. I was laying almost flat on my back, trying to to stab myself to death on the rose bush behind me. 1/200 ISO 100, aperture wide open.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.08/Flower1_2D00_web.JPG[/img]

if it doesn't load:[View:http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/luBFPwkJagu6pzyDZmx8_w?feat=directlink]

For this shot I believe I had the lens reversed, again no electronics. 1/100 ISO 400. The light was dying, and the wind picking up by this point.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.08/Rose1_2D00_web.JPG[/img]

if it doesn't load: [View:http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dVY_OIoq_aekzAcH1MDVsw?feat=directlink]

For this one I actually had the lens mounted correctly! 1/15 f/4.0 ISO 100.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.08/waterfall.JPG[/img]

If it doesn't load: [View:http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3-WddLndMF7OzEQFxN2XVA?feat=directlink]

Re: Chicago Botanic Gardens Trip

I love all the reply's you have gotten here. Good pictures. Too bad the first one was not taken with your sigma lens!

I think they are all great. I would like to see more DOF on the 3rd shot, but that's just of a matter of taste though :-) I think the 1st one is really cool and interesting composition.

I really like the first two shots! The rose detail is truely stunning!

First shot is awesome! Love it

The third to me looks a lil soft? Or is that just me?

I really like the first two! Very cool shots!

-Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I think they are all great. I would like to see more DOF on the 3rd shot, but that's just of a matter of taste though :-) I think the 1st one is really cool and interesting composition.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Agreed on this... the 3rd shot has/had more potential .. just seems a bit OOF.

Yeah, the 3rd one is a little out of focus. I tried to cover by sharpening in post-proc, but its still noticeable even shrunk. Oh well. Thanks all for the responses! I figured this had gotten buried and forgotten. I need to get back out to the gardens to do some fall pictures.