Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 70-200

Re: 70-200

I'm thinking of picking one up very soon... but now I'm wondering why is it being discontinued... is something better coming out!?

The reply came quickly:

"Dear Sean

The latest information I have from our purchasing manager is that it has indeed been discontinued.

I don't have anything official to tell you in terms of information on a replacement, but there appears there may be some "inside info" here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-lenses/

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador"

It's interesting that she referenced the same article that spurned the question. I didn't find any real answers as to a replacement, but it looks as if it has certainly been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It's far too old to have the new sub-wavelength coatings like the 24/1.4II and newer glass. Most everything with the new coatings seems to be getting amazing reviews compared to their predecessors.

If they added the latestcoatings and 4 stop IS? Seems like that would end the 70-200mm f/4 IS or 70-200mm f2.8 IS debate. How much of a price increase do think it would be?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I guess it's time to grab a 70-200 f/2.8L IS now if you NEED one. The new version will definitely cost more and you will have to wait fora while to get your hands on one.

HOLD UP!!!

Just got a second reply from Helen.

"<span style="color: #000099;"]Dear Sean
    <div></div>
    <div><span style="color: #000099;"]It appears that I completely mis-read the message I was sent by the purchasing department, my apologies.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div><span style="color: #000099;"]I understand that we have NO official word, after all, that this has been discontinued - we just can't get any at the moment.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div><span style="color: #000099;"]I do apologize for the iffy information; I usually do my best to get everything right first time!</div>
    <div></div>

<span style="color: #000099;"]
    Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador"

Hmm...interesting turnaround.

They're toying with us!!! [:P]

I figured the 24-70 would get updated long before the 70-200.

Wow it is amazing how fast rumors fly. I've already seen two different sites (dpreview and canonrumors) report supposed "confirmation" of the discontinuation of this lens. This is just out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Wow it is amazing how fast rumors fly. I've already seen two different sites (dpreview and canonrumors) report supposed "confirmation" of the discontinuation of this lens. This is just out of hand.

That's why I attempted to go straight to the source. CanonRumors listed an email from Helen as the source of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS discontinuation. She even referenced the site in her first reply, so I have no doubt she told someone else that it had been discontinued, and that person forwarded the info to CanonRumors. From what she's saying nowshe misread the initial information, andsimplycannot confirm or deny the discontinuation.

This certainly complicates things a bit&hellip;