Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 70-200

70-200

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=recommend&sku=CA70200ISU

Re: 70-200

I noticed this about a week ago, Strange.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Still listed at B&H. And there's still a rebate on it.

Speaking of, the retail price on that lens has gone up $250 since I purchased it. Wow.

I regret not picking one up for ~ 1450 a few months back... I just assumed it would go down even more being an 8/9 year old design and all.

The status @ Adorama is a bit puzzling

You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing. So I doubt that's the reason. Maybe they simply don't have it in stock and don't see a supply of it coming in for the foreseeable future. Or maybe it's just a glitch. I bet Helen Oster would be able to tell us....

This lens has been delisted from Adorama for at least 3 weeks.

I don't know why. What's more is that unlike other items in which there is a backorder situation, this item's page and its description is simply gone. Other retailers have it in stock.

I think it is remotely possible that an update could come out. The IS could be improved slightly, as well as some of the softness at the 200mm end. It is also possible that more significant redesign could be in the works, since there are 4 UD elements but no fluorite elements that could improve the CA performance. I have a suspicion that the overall sharpness/contrast performance could be boosted. The 70-200/2.8L IS has an exceptionally large number of elements. While the performance of the current lens is quite good, there is always room for improvement. But it's all pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's far too old to have the new sub-wavelength coatings like the 24/1.4II and newer glass. Most everything with the new coatings seems to be getting amazing reviews compared to their predecessors.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Well, I suppose that's a point....

From canonrumors.com

Helen Oster, the Adorama customer service ambassador has confirmed that the 70-200 f/2.8L IS has been discontinued.

Wow!!

My jaw just hit the desk.

I'd still like to hear it from Helen herself. Might have to call Adorama on lunch.

EDIT: I just sent an email to Helen asking if she can confirm that the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS has been discontinued. I'll let you know when I get a reply.