Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your "Shooting Quality"?

Re: Your "Shooting Quality"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Maleko

Either just RAW, or RAW+JPEG?

Just RAW. Post processing software such as Lightroom make it so fast and easy that I recommend it to everyone that is comfortable with a computer.

Do you think it is safe to just shoot in RAW, and not JPEG?

Yes.

I personally have never heard of a case where either the RAW or JPEG files get corrupt, and then the other file format has saved them.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Neither have I. The optimal situation is two simulataneous cards in the camera (such as CF and SD), then another backup when they are transferred to permanent storage.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Daniel,

I only disagree with you on this from my experience recently, because I would have liked to have thumbnails to look at while organizing archived images and had to open each RAW file to see what the heck it was. Therefore I shoot RAW+small JPEG, just so I can have a quick peek to see if it is a keeper or not, and in what folder/classification I need to place it. Small JPEGs don't take up a significant amount of space, and I think it is more convenient to have them. If you want to trash them later after archiving and classification, you'd still have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1
    ...I would have liked to have thumbnails to look at while organizing archived images...
    RAW files already have two preview JPEG images embedded in them: one is a small, uncompressed JPEG thumbnail, the other is a very large (usually full size) compressed JPEG. (Yes, that means "RAW+JPEG" is actually saving *two* full size JPEG files.) If you have the right software installed (free downloads from Canon, Microsoft, etc.), the thumbnails are visible in the file managers of XP, Vista, OS X, as well as most image applications.

There are lots of opinions and ultimately what works for you is the right answer but check out the 6 Digital Photography Myths on http://www.nobsphotosuccess.com

Mark
    Mark

RaW good for post production

I always shoot in RAW mode.

Simple workflow:
    • Dump the CF cards to the computer
    • Check the files with DPP deleting the images I don't want.
    • Convert the images to jpeg and store the jpegs in the archive.

I use jpeg in the archive due to speed and I always keep the RAW files in case I want to do something more with an image later.

For backup: I store both the jpeg and raw file on two different computers. All the raw files are also backed up to a DLT tape and the tapes are stored outside my house.

LOL! That's great! "RAW if I care about what I'm doing, JPEG if it's for someone else/I'm not being paid/picture dump"

That's well said. Becaue when i open my RAW files in lightroom, i go over them painstaintly to make sure that every detail

is brought out in that 'digital negative'. My jpeg shots take up less space on my CF and i can't really edit them in lightroom.