Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help-looking for my first slr setup

Re: help-looking for my first slr setup

Quote Originally Posted by RonG
    ...or pay 79 bucks for genuine fractals...

???
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Genuine Fractals 6.0 is software to allow extreme enlargements even of low megapixel images.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2&gclid=CKfcx-3A-JsCFQk_agodwiag9Q

Hmmm....Okay.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thanks again for all of the input guys. I've been doing a lot of research and exploring my options, and it seems that there are a few different ways I could go once I get the money.

The 40D refurbished is selling for $899 at Adorama (the 28-135 3.5-5.6 is included). That seems like a great deal given the capabilities of the 40D, but the 28-135 probably isn't the best lens for low light. I would have a flash too, but the 5.6 at the telephoto end is a pretty big drawback. $900 for both of those is a great deal though. Would a 40D+28-135 IS+430EX II be useable in low light?

The other option seems to be picking up a rebel body for cheap (probably the xti) and getting a couple lenses or one big lens that is good in low light. The Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, and the 70-200 f/4 L (f/4 may not be the best bet and I couldn't get anything else if I went with that). Basically I'd just mix and match until I get the best bet for around a thousand. I'm not sure how I feel about not having zoom capabilities. The light would not be a problem though. Hmm.

So basically it seems like Ieither have to go with 1 or 2 fast lenses on a lesser body or a slower lens on a more capable body. Which is the better bet?

I still think you should consider looking into a slightly used 30D (try the buy/sell pages on FredMiranda). You can usually pick one up with a grip for around $500 or less and they are quite useable at ISO 1600. That would leave you $500 or more to spend on glass.

I'd get the refurbished 50mm f1.8 II. Then takemy time getting any further lenses.Ihave threerefurbished 430EXsthat Itrigger withaST-E2. So,while I recommend the 430EX, I'd probably get a 580EXor 580EX IIif I was planning to use it on camera, alone.

O.K. Guys this is my final suggestion and it is pure Gold.

First the lens: I love my canon and you will hear all about Sigmas and focusing issues however a sports photographer for a local paper uses this lens and her stuff is awsome.

1) Sigma 27-70mm f2.8: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=3 50973&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews $569.00

2) Canon 1D (that's right a 1D): I found mine use for $384 dollars at Adorama and it is a tank. Battery Life Sucks but I get consistent 350 shots per battery pack which are $25 from Batteries.com http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20333382.html$499.00

3) Noise Ninja Software for noise reduction at 1600 and 3200 ISO $80.00

4) Genuine Fractals for huge enlargement $80.00 Student Discount

I don't care what others may say I actually prefer my 1D over my 40D for all sports, focusing is awsome and you will love it. All manuals are available online and the small LCD on the back will keep you from chimping and missing shots. Good Luck

Ron, I like the way you think.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMB

Quote Originally Posted by dmckinny

I have tried to shoot indoor sports with the 50 1.8 and it works but it is still a little short so I end up doing a lot of cropping. My indoor shoots have been in areas smaller than a hockey rink so you might even consider a 100 or 200 prime.

Indoor sports with a 50 1.8? You, sir, are a braver man than I. I only get out the nifty fifty if I'm dead sure it's going to be a situation that doesn't require a reasonably fast autofocus speed.

Not brave, just desperate []

David

Canon EOS-40D Digital SLR Camera - Refurbished $699.95

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 $379.95

Breaks your budget by $79.90 but is a pretty solid indoor-sports shooting setup. Like Dallasphotog will tell you, great images can be obtained with a Rebel body when there's good glass on the front of it. If you're a budding photographer (especially if sports photography is your passion) then you are eventually going to want to upgrade to an XXD body. They are better built than Rebels, feel better in hand and among many other things, have a better auto-focusing systems and frame rates. Personally I'd pay the extra bucks and get the 50D but the 40D is an outstanding body.

Sure zooms are way more versatile but in low-light situations primes are hard to beat. You'll be surprised on how quickly you start pushing ISO even with a fast prime in order to obtain action-stopping shutter speeds. Now in no way is what I suggested the perfect setup but given your budget I'd say that it's a pretty good starting point. You'll need to add some wide angle in there and maybe even some more telephoto. You won't really know until you shoot a few games though.

You metioned the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS which comes with the Refurbished 40D as a kit for $899.95. Although there are many happy owners of this lens I doubt that many (if any) of them use it for low-light indoor sports. f/5.6 is just way to S-L-O-W.