Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help-looking for my first slr setup

help-looking for my first slr setup

I bought an advanced point-and-shoota while agoto see if photography was something I would be interested in. Turns out I like it a lot (especially sports), and even though I have a LOT to learn, I am looking to get my first SLR setup by mid-October. My dad coaches a hockey team and he said I could be the "team photographer" and go on the bench to shoot. Depending on how I do, I may sell prints to the kids' parents or something.

So I'm trying to get a decent setup (mainly for sports, but other things too) for around a thousandish. Under a thousand would be awesome though. Anyone have any advice on what to get for the price range/function I'm looking for?

So far I've looked at:

Canon Rebel XTi body, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, Speedlite 430EX II, EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II lens, EF 70-200mm f/4 L lens (I'd have to get that down the road).

Any suggestions on what else to look at or what would be good?

Thanks

Re: help-looking for my first slr setup

You'll want something with decent performance in lower light (ie: have a lower f number). For your budget, there aren't many good low-light options. Instead of the 18-55, perhaps look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 would also be a nice choice, as it's sharp, extremely cheap, and fast. If you haven't yet, check out the review section and read up on these lenses.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

If you're looking to do sports, I'd recommend that you move an 85 f/1.8 high on your list. A friend picked up a 40D with 17-85 IS and the 85/1.8, and he really likes that as a starter.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

+1 on the 85 1.8

i don't know of any other lens to suggest other than the 70-200 2.8L ISU but that is really an expensive glass. There are also other tele-primes that might help but I'm not sure on the price.

Hmmm, Well, If I had it to do all over again, This is the direction I would go, especially for sports:

Canon 50D and 70-200 f2.8 L IS---That is alarge chunk of change, but not as much as a Harley.

Rationale: As I found out, a lesser body and glass will yield lesser results and ultimately (within a year) you will be looking to upgrade. If you started out with a high end point and shoot and feel you really have the bug for photography, then start your "investing now".

Let's talk about the body: My recommendation is the 50D. For sports it's great. 4.9 FPS--which is fairly fast, Can use UDMA memory cards ( which are much faster) and is a dynamite all around body for the price ($1,200) if you shop around. One other thing that I have found to be a huge benefit with the 50D is the Micro-Focus adjustment---This really helped with my 100-400L.

The Lens: Though I haven't bought this lens yet, It will be my next. There are400+ 5 Star reviews onB&H and it is probably the most coveted of the Canon lenses. Though it's pricey, when you look at what this lens has to offer, it's not that bad. It would be ideal for what you are looking to do and is also a great all around lens.

If your working with cash only---then save for the good stuff and continue to practice with your point and shoot.

If your considering buying on credit: Well, it's like this, I would rather pay$100a month on something I liked, than $50 dollars a month on something I was unhappy with.

If you are still looking for an XTI, I have one I will sell you--with the kit lens--

That's my 2 Cents worth,

Good Luck,

Bob

Bob

I have a Rebel XTi kit for sale (see buy & sell page). Check it out, could be what your looking for. It'l free up some cash so you can pick up those extra lenses you need.

Thank you,

Bruce

50d + 70-200 f2.8 (IS or no IS will depend on your budget)

You will like the speed, flexibility of the zoom in the game, and the reach on a crop body (200x1.6=320mm)

Ideally you need something wide for group pictures, like EFS 17-55 f2.8

With this set-up you will not need the flash using high ISO for all action pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by shutr

I have a Rebel XTi kit for sale (see buy & sell page). Check it out, could be what your looking for. It'l free up some cash so you can pick up those extra lenses you need.

Thank you,

Bruce
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This may be a good option for you. Here is one I shot with an XTi and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 at ISO 1600.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0024.jpg[/img]
    Mark

Nice shot, your timing was perfect!

Sports shooting on a budget is tough.

Before you decide on lenses, you need to see what focal lengths you need, and how much light you're shooting in. If you can get close to a small field and can get your shot at like 100mm, your options are a lot greater than if you need a bigger zoom (like the 70-200 f/4, which is an excellent sports lens if you can get enough light to shoot at f/4).

Also, I'd suggest looking at a 40D...it's a good bit cheaper than the 50D and it has a higher frame rate that will be useful for sports...