Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5D mkII and Err 30

5D mkII and Err 30

Seem like my 1 1/2 month old 5DmkII is broken due to a err 30. A quick seach on Internet gave me a lot of hits with stories about the same problem.

Is this a "typical problem" with the 5DII?

Re: 5D mkII and Err 30

Send it into Canon. Not many other ways around the issue, unfortunately. Perhaps try shooting without lens/memory card to see if the error clears (and is tied to one of those components).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Jorn

Hope this helps

<span style="color: #000000; font-size: x-small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]10 = Malfunctions related to files have been detected.
    20 = Malfunctions related to the mechanical have been detected.
    30 = Malfunctions related to the shutter have been detected.
    40 = Malfunctions related to the power source have been detected.
    50 = Malfunctions related to the electric control have been detected.
    70 = Malfunctions related to images have been detected.
    80 = Malfunctions related to the electric control or images have been detected.

Thansk... I have returned the camera to the local camera pusher. But due to vacation time it may take some weeks before I have it back [].

The company that does the service for Canon in Norway claimed that the camera has been damaged by water and that ALL electronics has to be replaced at a price at 15000 NOK (the price of the camera was 20000).

I cannot understand where the water should come from. The day the camera failed I was in France - about to start walking up to a mountain (watching a stage in the Tour de France). Before I walked I put the camera in a plastic bag and placed in inside a Lowpro AW trekker II, wrapped the build-in rain cover on the Lowpro and start walking. I did not open the bag before I reached the top of the mountain. By then the rain has stopped. Everything inside the bag was dry... but the camera, inside the plastic bag was damaged!

However, this will be my words against them. How can they say that it is damaged by water?

Woops, forgot to write that the rain started AFTER I put the camera in the bag.

At this point I might buy a 1D for the durability and weather sealing it provides. But regarless of what you choose to do its going to be expensive.

The 1D mkIII saved my trip to France. I had it in my bag without lense (and no plastic bag) during the rain showers...

So perhaps I should have bouth a second 1D...

I spoke with the Canon service people today and they said they have found copper rust on the electronics.

I still cannot explain where the water has come from.

Anyone know if a picture of copper rust can tell the age of the copper rust?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorn

I spoke with the Canon service people today and they said they have found copper rust on the electronics.

I still cannot explain where the water has come from.

Anyone know if a picture of copper rust can tell the age of the copper rust?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Jorn,

The "greenish" color left on weathered copper is called "patina" and is acomplex mixture of copper oxides and carbonates. It takes sometime for this to occur. Usually if copper gets wet it will turn brown (short term). The "water" that gets in your camera could come from condensation when a cold camera body is taken into a humid environment. This why a sealed camera is better if it is exposed to temperature changes in a humid environment.

If the copper is greenish, then the moisture problem has been occurring for sometime.

Bob