Thread: Best bang for your buck...

Best bang for your buck...

I'm wondering if there is a product you've found to be a particular bargainand where we canget it.

I don't mean a product you got a good one time deal on, or got used,but a product you'd recommendthat is still readily available.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: Best bang for your buck...

100mm f/2.8 macro is my favorite in this category. It really lets you take pictures that would be impossible without it, and it isn't that expensive. It is well built, and also performs extremely well in just about every way.

Other obvious choices are 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, and 100mm f/2 lenses.

The 70-200 f/4. Stunning image quality, fast focusing, good build quality, compact size, and it's the least expensive L lens. It's only f/4, but that's plenty for shooting outside.

The Tamron 17-50 and 28-75 are also great values. Compared to their Canon equivalents (the 17-55 and 24-70), you get 90% of the image quality for a third of the price. These lenses are a lot smaller than the competition as well. The autofocus isn't terribly fast though.

The current generation of Feisol tripods. Nice build quality, small and light, and they'll hold a reasonably big load under normal conditions. I wouldn't put a 600 f/4 on one, but if I could afford a 600 f/4, I could afford a Gitzo 5-series to put it on

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Currently the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811
    I'm wondering if there is a product you've found to be a particular bargainand where we canget it.

Any old white piece of printer paper. Makes for pretty good white balance. Macro fill light (with a little gaffer tape). Write notes on it. Paper air plane (spice up a boring photo!), easy to fold up and take with you.

Gaffer tape. Easy to add and easy to remove. Doesn't leave a residue like duct tape. Helpful for all sorts of little situations like repairing a dropped battery, or keeping your power cable from tripping someone, or rigging your flash to a doorway.

I was going to say Quantaray 9550 flash but it looks like Ritz is no longer selling it. So, it would have to be the Promaster 5750DX. It's exactly the same as the Quantaray 9550.

1) Inexpensive for a 130 GN flash head.

2) Replaceable hot shoe module. Break the hot shoe ears (plastic of-course) and replace module for 20-35 USD. That beats sending a whole unit in for replacement/repair. Metz is the only other flash manufacturer to offer this king of design.

3) 90/180 swivel head with manual zoom and diffuser plate.Idon't care for motorized zoom heads. (And people fuss about the noise produced by a Tamron lens.) The snap in diffuser plate makes holding gels a breeze. Alot easier than the 285HV diff. plates

4) Secondary fill flash. I find this a great feature when shooting ceiling bounce flash. This feature can only be found on Metz costing hundreds of dollars more.

I also second the gaffers tape by D Browning. You can get it here: www.mcmaster.com type in 7612A94. Wonderful product. I keep a roll in my light kit bag. Sort of reminds me of book binding tape.

I just bought a Nissin Di622 flash unit. It costs half of the Canon 430EX, but does about the same, and one thing more; you can trigger it with the built in flash as a remote flash. This is a very nice feature if you don't want to buy a Canon 580EX an a 430EX to have this posibility.

And I think the Velbon Sherpa pro series tripods are also a good deal. These are very light carbon-fibre tripods at a reasonable price. But you have to look around to find a good dealer, the prices vary a lot between the dealers (at lest here in europe).