Thread: Studio Lighting ----- par boil or flash fry

Studio Lighting ----- par boil or flash fry

Quick backgrounder-

My digital image experience is in DV and HDV video and prosumer SLR digital still photography, the video work has been commerical and indie professional. The still work has been art objects, product, and fashion model, all for web use never print.

I am studying professional portraiture, lifestyle, and entertainment.

My deepest experience is in setting lights as a gaffer and DP, I've used bare bones lowel systems and high end Arri, tung, hmi. You name it, talking head, three point set, shooting in a car, and effect outdoor.

For stills,even using existing light, I've only used constant light because it's what I own and know.

So, if you shoot studio or inside location portraiture and lifestyle does anyone use hard lights or is flash the standard? I'm learning a lot of the basics -key, fill, rim, bounce, softbox, are basically the same as motion picture lighting but the element only flashes. So if youuse one or more flash sources how do you set them and tweek?

Also, my sense for the client or model is well intact, I'm just looking for a bit of set acumen. I expect the portriat client doesn'twant to "pose" for half an hour while Itweeklights; in video a grip stands on the mark while we do that. Really just curious if anyone uses constant lighting in any situation.

All Grazi to you. Greg

Re: Studio Lighting ----- par boil or flash fry

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow....nice resume'. I don't feel qualified to assist based on the fact that I didn't recognize any of the terminology you were using there. But maybe this guy can help... www.strobist.com.

To answer your question, I would "guess" that most photographers use strobe. I can't say I've ever seen a presentation done with hard lighting. That doesn't mean, of course, that it's not used. I'm a grain of salt in the photographer demographic.

I use Alienbee studio lights and modified Vivitar manual strobes. I use light modifiers like Octoboxes, Umbrellas, snoots, grids and gels. I also havea 4 cannel wired controller that allows me to adjust the output of the AB strobes from where I'm shooting. Makes studio shooting much easier especially when you have grided or snooted backlights up high.

I like working with flash because the ambient environment is easier on the subject and I can cancel ambient out with the power of the strobes. Or mix it in if need be.

I understand that working under constant (hard)light can be hot and annoying. No, I don't use it.

Hope this helps a little,

Chuck

Well you *could* ask somebody to sit before the client comes but sometimes (especially with more pro editorial portrait work) clients wont mind if you fix a light around them. And yes, most if not all is usually flash. Have yo ever tried to place a client under cont. lighting? They will melt if they're there for more than a few minutes. It's uncomfortable for them and that will reflect in the production.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow....nice resume'. I don't feel qualified to assist based on the fact that I didn't recognize any of the terminology you were using there. But maybe this guy can help... [url="http://www.strobist.com]www.strobist.com[/url].

To answer your question, I would "guess" that most photographers use strobe. I can't say I've ever seen a presentation done with hard lighting. That doesn't mean, of course, that it's not used. I'm a grain of salt in the photographer demographic.

I use Alienbee studio lights and modified Vivitar manual strobes. I use light modifiers like Octoboxes, Umbrellas, snoots, grids and gels. I also havea 4 cannel wired controller that allows me to adjust the output of the AB strobes from where I'm shooting. Makes studio shooting much easier especially when you have grided or snooted backlights up high.

I like working with flash because the ambient environment is easier on the subject and I can cancel ambient out with the power of the strobes. Or mix it in if need be.

I understand that working under constant (hard)light can be hot and annoying. No, I don't use it.

Hope this helps a little,

Chuck
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Chuck. Strobe, there you go. This certainly helps. My creative plan and learning direction are heading toward available light; if nothing else I want to build a still foundation in available light. However, I'm certain I'll be setting artificial light as well.

I'm basing my element list on three point lighting so my first rig will likely be three units, stands, power, and bounce material. I live about ten minutes from Alien Bees and have three 14' stands from them I went there and picked them up after paying online. Nice folks, big parking lot. I use AB stands mostly for Arri 600's in a softbox, I used them once to span a background for product stills.

I like the ring rig and the b800 for what I'm doing. I'd like to shoot a little with the ring light before I buy so I may ring em up and see if I could work something out. I wish they had a little token demo floor, I'm sure 98% of thier sales are online, but... Plus, they're right behind my favorite burrito shack.

A controller with a fader would be nice. I use indvidual fader plugs a lot but never a multi channel box, nice.

And, yes. I've worked with humans and I think humanoids under hot lights, the lights are seldom on when the talent's on set, there are folks dedicated to shutting them down as soon as they aren't neccessary. Kino is making things cooler all around.

Thanks for the input. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GAButler
    I live about ten minutes from Alien Bees

Well Sean Setters and I are certainly jealous.

Speaking of "Natural Light" check out the strodist 07/23/09 blog "Inspired by Natural Light" with John Keatley. Nice Piece.

The 4 channel wired remote is quite the value but you need AB lights to use it.

I so want the ring flash!! That's going up in priority on my "gotta have" list.

Sounds like your well on your way. Post some shots if you can/willing and let us see how things progress.

Take Care,

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Quote Originally Posted by GAButler
    I live about ten minutes from Alien Bees

Well Sean Setters and I are certainly jealous.

Speaking of "Natural Light" check out the strodist 07/23/09 blog "Inspired by Natural Light" with John Keatley. Nice Piece.

The 4 channel wired remote is quite the value but you need AB lights to use it.

I so want the ring flash!! That's going up in priority on my "gotta have" list.

Sounds like your well on your way. Post some shots if you can/willing and let us see how things progress.

Take Care,
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Actually, I'm only about an hour away from the Alien Bees (Paul's) headquarters in Nashville, TN. I wish I weren't...it means I owe them sales tax on everything I buy from them. :-)

...it means I owe them sales tax on everything I buy from them. :-)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>
    <div class="ForumPostFooter"]
    <div class="ForumPostButtons" style="float: right;"]
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"]
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>Quick Reply</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class="ForumPostFooter"]</div>
    <div class="ForumPostFooter"]Ed Zachary - I can't remember what Davidson Co. is but my my state with local option added is 9.25%!</div>