Thread: A Fresh Look, Not (C&Cs Most Welcome)

A Fresh Look, Not (C&Cs Most Welcome)

Hi everyone, as always it's good to hear your C&C's for a learning individual like me. Thanks in advance.

Here's a link for a larger view: Dried Rose

Here's a link for a larger view: Dried Buds

Thank you in advance again for your C&Cs.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: A Fresh Look, Not (C&Cs Most Welcome)

MrGreenbug,

I find "highkey" a very difficult lighting style to capture dried flower buds in. Not that I've ever tried it.

In the first shotI can't really "see" the flower because the background is so bright. It's like a shadow in this shot which creates the illusion of it being blurred and out of focus. It's leaning out of the frame rather than into it which leaves me feeling like I wanted to grab it and pull it to the left. That's a subjective point of view. The second shot confuses me. I ask, what are the buds sitting on? It's almost as if they're floating and I am seeing oof tree limbs behind them in the bottom of the frame. What ever that is is very distracting and pulls my eye away from the subject(s)

My suggestion would be to create a dark colored or even comletely black background and shoot these buds again if possible. Try isolating just one and concentrate on showing the detail in just that one. If you want to show many then increasethe f-stop to increase DOF and show most if not all of them. In the second shot, I'd love to see the one just left of center. It looks so much more interesting than the one in focus.

I believe this is my first "official" critique. I hope Isoundedconstructive without sounding condescending.

Thanks for sharing your photos and allowing me to comment. We're all learning.

Chuck

Re: A Fresh Look, Not (C&Cs Most Welcome)

Hi Chuck,

First of all, thank you for the detailed comments. I really like these kinds of comments since I am able to learn more when critiques bash the photo.

I had difficulty taking these photos. I didn't know if it was the light or the background. I just tried and shoot away and find out what should/can be done with a scenario such as these.

Well, both photos have a white background and I placed a sort of a mesh maybr made out of dried woven grass.

I will try your suggestions of shooting in dark/black background and isolate more of the buds.

Thank you again for the comments.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com