Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Astrophotos, anyone?

Re: Astrophotos, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    Also, does the camera actually heat up less if you do 10 1 min exposures in succession than 1 ten minute exposure?

That's a good point Jon, I didn't think of it that way. I guess from experience I have seen less noise from the shorter exposures than one long exposure. I could probably borrow a mechanic's IR thermometer and do some field tests but that might be going over the top.

Also, your absolutely right about wide lenses taking a while to get the trails. That one of mine took around 1.5 hrs and the trails aren't overly long. I guess it's a trade off between the number of stars in the shot and the length of the trails. Might try it out close to 20mm with the same lens next time and see how I go.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Nice.

Can you post a picture of your equipment?

Hi Jorn,

Not sure if you meant me or btaylor, but here are a couple of pics of the 5DII attached to the telescope. The little telescope on top (and the little camera attached to it) is for guiding.

I guess even a small telescope makes a pretty big camera lens.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93.mp65/tak-side.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93.mp65/5dontak.jpg[/img]

Exactly what I was looking for Thanks!

Is the camera adapter home made or could i be bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorn
    Is the camera adapter home made or could i be bought?

I'm not nearly clever enough to have made the thing I think I got it at astronomics, (www.astronomics.com). I'm sure orion (www.telescope.com) would have it, too. I believe it's called a t-ring but you might want to call to make sure. I also needed a 2" extension tube to reach focus at infinity. (As Bryan might say, it's not going be cofused with a macro lens.)