Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renaming files - Do you or don't you?

Re: Renaming files - Do you or don't you?

I do after post production

I used to. Don't have time anymore. :-)

No clue why I've never thought to put the date in front before, I'm off to rename a whole wackload of folders right now... :P

I usually make two subfolders for each shoot/day/location/whatever, one called Originals and the other Output, and once I've gone through and marked my keepers and made any basic tweaks or adjustments I'll get Lightroom to do a rename for me into the Output folder. I NEVER rename my originals though... one of the ways I know it's the original

I don't rename the RAWs, nor do I rename the JPGs, except for the DPP automatic thing that changes the name from IMG_ to DPP_ ... I keep both RAWs and JPGs in the same folder, named with the date I took the pictures...

If it's not the usual stuff (me going around taking pictures) I put an underscore and add one or two words of description...

it's worked so far...

oh, and everything is back-upped on a 1TB Maxtor USB (AC powered) external hard drive...which automatically backups everything every other day =)

Andy

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I have the <span style="font-family: Verdana;"]EOS Utility setup to automatically create a folder in this format "yyyy-mm-dd" when I upload from my camera. I like this because it enables me to sort by date. Like Sean I also then add a brief description such as "2009-08-04 <st1lace w:st="on"]<st1lacename w:st="on"]Brandywine</st1lacename> <st1lacetype w:st="on"]Park</st1lacetype></st1lace>". I then create a sub-folder named "RAW" where I dump all of the RAW files that I actually want to keep. I rename my RAW files with a time stamp (done in DPP) with this format "yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss". I like to do this so that I can also sort my images by the time they were taken. When I convert to jpeg I retain the same name as the RAW file.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I also use Picasa for viewing my jpeg files once I have processed the RAWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; color: #000000;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; color: #000000;"]I also use Picasa for viewing my jpeg files once I have processed the RAWs.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I was wanting an alternative for viewing RAW files on my netbook and tried Picasa. However, Picasa would do an auto-correction when viewing the files (which was completely counter-productive). It would lighten darker images, and darken lighter ones. I could find no way to turn off this feature. It made the program completely useless for me as I couldn't judge exposure using different settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I was wanting an alternative for viewing RAW files on my netbook and tried Picasa. However, Picasa would do an auto-correction when viewing the files (which was completely counter-productive). It would lighten darker images, and darken lighter ones. I could find no way to turn off this feature. It made the program completely useless for me as I couldn't judge exposure using different settings.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I only use Picasa for viewing jpeg files. I turned off the capablility for viewing RAW files in the preferences. I did this because it would show duplicate images since I keep both a RAW file and a jpeg. I didn't realize that it automatically "corrected" the RAW image for viewing though. I guess it's good that I turned viewing RAW files off! I use DPP for viewing RAW files.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    I was wanting an alternative for viewing RAW files on my netbook and tried Picasa. However, Picasa would do an auto-correction when viewing the files

I'm with Mark E. I turn off *.raw as one of the supported file types in Picasa and use Silkypix.

Interestingly enough, "Irfanview Thumbnails" acts as a raw viewer (one con is that it doesn't auto rotate)

Also, Picasa can sometimes be used with pretty good results: see here

Obviously, DPP and Adobe Bridge can be used in the same way.

But man, I've got to hand it to Google, Picasa is a nice viewer/organizer/editor. The new filtered black and whitetool in Picasa3 is very well done.

Picasa has grown into something that's actually pretty darned powerful considering where it started and what it's intended use is... oh, and the fact that it's free :|

I was actually really happy when it finally came over to Mac, I don't really use it very often but it does have a couple cool features.

Majority of my RW file sget deleted once I'm happy with my final output. Some Raws like for events, weddings etc I do store!
    They just take up WAY to much space for the amount of photos you end up taking, so unless there important, they go.

All my files get stored like this:

Year &gt; Event Name &gt; File Name With date picture taken

e.g.

2009 &gt; Spain &gt; 160409_163457

If I have 2 visits to the same place in one year:

2009 &gt; Spain &gt; April &gt; 160409_163457
    2009 &gt; Spain &gt; June &gt; 210609_112132

(yes those dates are non US format, which doesnt ever matter unless the photos go across 2 seperate months - thats us british for you! lol)

Each year you then start a new folder etc, makes it easier for me to find photos then.
    Also, you will never have duplicate file names - except in the event of a series of high speed photo burst, then you have a (1), (2) at the end of each file, so still works!
    I don't use any photo viewing software (like Picasa for Live Photo Gallery), I prefer to view them by folder, I know what and where I'm lookign for it then.

Renaming files (including raw and .xmp files) is really really easy with Adobe Bridge.