Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renaming files - Do you or don't you?

Renaming files - Do you or don't you?

I've been reluctant to rename my raw files. I realize the original file name is stored in the Raw Data in File Info (in Adobe) forever, so maybe I'm being silly.

I guess I worry that, since I take so many photos of the same thing - the GWB, the Hudson River, street scenes around Manhattan - I worry that all my file names will look the same.

I import shoots into directories that are named by date and a one or two-word description. - year-month-day-descriptor - so I can see Hudson River images from March 2008 very easily.

It's been working so far, but every book I read tells me to import and rename. No author ever recommends keeping the original file name.

What is your scheme when it comes to importing / renaming / organizing your photos?

Thanks Everyone, for any thoughts you'd like to share.

Re: Renaming files - Do you or don't you?

I tried to rename them appropriatly, even with the date in the file name but found it took too long. Now, I just keep the file name from the camera. I plan to tag them with the appropriate data of who's in the picture and location but haven't even started.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Here's how I organize my images--First, I create a folder named for the day of the shoot with a short description following that. For example:

2009-08-01 Amy Engagement

By putting the year first, the folders are organized according to when they were taken. After creating the folders, I create subfolders like RAW, PS (photoshopped), COLOR, BEST, etc.

It's not a perfect system, but as long as I can remember a roundabout time I took the shots, then the original isn't hard to find.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 12pt;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]You have to think how you will find a specific image without two photos having the same name.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]I rename each file with names of key persons, things, places, dates and the last 4 digits of the raw file.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]i.e. <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]Jill Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone WY 1121 8-2-09.<o></o>[/b]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]With this form of file naming I can search for people or things or places or dates, while have multi photos of exactly the same image.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You can also move images in to a mixed date folder if you desire, (For example, a two week vacation of Yellowstone).<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]After you collect tens of thousands of images you can find the subset you are looking for quickly while having a notation of what the image is. 20 years later you will need the notation.<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif'; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]

My (imperfect) way of organization is this:

Since I keep a picture a day blog, I find it easy to make a folder for every day. I.e. [7-09-09]

Recently I started being able to do actual shoots for "clients". When that is the case, I dispose of the folder named by date method and use the subject's name. Then I'll put sub folders in after that. [Chris CD Cover] --&gt; [test shots], [check 3 (not used)], etc.

The only renaming of files I do is after I edit a file. I will tag [edit1] on the end. [IMG_3453edit1.jpg]. If I need a print size specific shot, I will do [IMG_3453edit1 8x10].

This seems to work for me right now. although finding certain files from long ago can be a pain sometimes.

I'm always naming/renaming files. I use Breeze Browser and Downloader Pro. My format is generally: shoot id number or shoot name-MMDDYY-frame number-camera name.

1049-013009-0132-AGC.jpg.

<span style="font-size: 12pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 12pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]You have to think how you will find a specific image without two photos having the same name.

Bob, I'm sure I have at least 4-5 sets of images with the same name. But...............

I organize similar to Sean. My wife organizes her photos the same way. We own and operatethree cameras.

When I donwload my images from my CF card I create a folder Date-Subject and copy the files into that folder. If there are images from more than one shoot then I create how many ever folders I need. My syntax is like this: 080309-ForumPhotos.

Once the Raws are moved from the card to the hardrive I process with Silkypix and develop to jpeg. I delete any useless raws before exiting Silkypix. The jpeg quality I develop with is based on my workflow. If the images are low ISO and clean I'll apply a USM during development and save a 90% quality jpeg.I'm done with those. If the photos are High ISO (800 and up) I usually develop at 100%,batch noise reduction with Neat Image save@100%, then batch sharpen with Irfanview save@90%. Anything that needs special attention gets saved at 100% no sharp and post processed with CS3.

Once development with SilkyPix is done Icopy that folder and all raw datato a backup drive leaving only the jpgs on my main drive. That folder gets moved into a annual folder in the Photo directory. i.e. Photo/2009/080309-ForumPhotos

I use Picasa 3 as my browser and can quickly find anything based on when it was shot. Sometimes, I have to use my eyes to find what I'm looking for because I don't remember the exact date I took it. Never-the-less, it doesn't take very long to find it. the pickier I become as a photographer the more streamline my image gallery becomes. I also try to reduce the size of those images that will never be printed.

I've never had an issue with recurring file names. IfI want to rework a photo fromraw that was taken a year agoI have no problemmatching it.

I started organizing our images like this in 2004 and it has worked extremely well.

Thank you guys! Good suggestions, interesting how many different schemes, just in the 5 or 6 responses.

No one has said "always rename your files" so I guess I'll keep my current system - directories by date and description [year_month_day_description] and then files with keywords. The only hard part is disciplining myself to enter the keywords.

I really wish Bridge had a histogram display...I like ACR for converting RAW files but I hate having to open it every time just to see a histogram. I like DxPro even better but I'm not sure it supports the sidecar files from Bridge (I think that's where all the meta data resides, in those sidecar files).

Thanks again!

BreezeBrowser is really good bang for buck, and moreso if bundled with DL Pro. has histograms, proofing, webpage generation, watermarking and good naming/sorting capability. Also shows focus points on the image, and all the exif data you could wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Here's how I organize my images--First, I create a folder named for the day of the shoot with a short description following that. For example:

2009-08-01 Amy Engagement

By putting the year first, the folders are organized according to when they were taken.

That is EXACTLY what I do. I have no problem finding stuff I need.

After I copy the files into my folder I group them by file type and separate jpegs, raws, photoshops etc. I don't change file names unless I have multiple files of the same type and name.