Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpack Opinions

Re: Backpack Opinions

Don,

I also have the LowePro Nature Trekker II AW. I am very pleased with it's quality, construction, fit, etc. I've taken it on numerous trips and it's held up like a champ.

Just to give you an idea on size, right know I have in it: 1 body, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 25-105 f4 L, 10-22 wide, 15 fisheye, lens baby, 430 flash, batteries, cables, filters, cleaners, hoods, extension tube,misc. ...and it is slam full. I have the small day pack that can be attached to the front of the pack that I use for layers (jackets etc.), the water bottle attachment, and the tripod attachement (Gitzo 3530lsv + Arca Z1). As you can see it can handle a lot. My only concern with this particular model is if you will be able to fit all your lenses. The 100-400 is big/long and would have to battle with the 70-200mm for the center position, etc.

The other thing to consider... do you realize how heavy your bag would be with all the stuff you listed? With all the gear I have, which isn't a whole lot,my pack is over 40lbs. Now, I'm 6'-3", 240lbs and pretty big and fit, and luggingmy pack around is VERY burndensome for long periods of time. Especially traversing hard terrain or up and down Mts... ...my Yellowstone trip nightmares are starting to come back now.... thanks for that... So please consider what you are going to use you backpack for; trip length, type, temp., terrain etc in your decision. You can then prioritize you gear and save yourself from a very painful situation.... [:'(]

In conclusion the nature trekker II AW model might not be the right size for you, but Lowepro makes great products and I would recommend anything from them.

- Jason

As others have said, the LowePro Nature Trekker is a great backpack. Adding the external pouches can significantly boost the capacity of this bag, though could be an issue for air travel (where simply a larger backpack would have been a better choice).

I also have the Deluxe Waistbelt and the Suspenders. When out shooting, I tend to use that combo (along with external pouches) instead of the backpack when I expect to be doing a lot of changes or simply using my cameras for a while. I put two small carabiners on the D-rings of the suspenders, and hang my cameras there instead of over my neck. For pouches, I have the Lens Case 4 and 4S, the Pouch 50AW, the Utility Case, the (discontinued) Film Drop, and the water bottle holder. I've successfully put both lens cases, the utility pouch, and the Film Drop on my Nature Trekker, but it became a little tricky to sneak onto airplanes.

At this moment, my NT is in my trunk, loaded with the following: 1D body, 40D body, 24-105, 85L, 50/1.8, four Speedlite 580IIs, a CP-E4 battery pack, and little stuff. Both bodies are ready-to-shoot. There's also a 70-200/2.8 in the Lens Case 4 on the outside. Three folding lightstands and an umbrella, ball-bungeed together, and I'm ready for tonight's shoot with one hand totally free to open doors, etc.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Ok, so maybe I'm nuts but I have the mini-trekkar and the equipment I really always carry is: 40D, 70-200 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L, 17-40
    f/4L, 100m f/2.8 macro, 100-400, 1.4 ext., Kenko Extension Tubes,
    430ex, fliters and accessories. The 100-400 goes on an outside pouch and the flash goes in the outside pocket, everything else fits. I haven't put it on a scale, but I doubt it's 40lbs. And if it is, I'm in better shape than I give myself credit. I put a bottle of water in the big pouch with the McClamp and strap my coat or extra layers to the outside. I want a more efficient set up so I can get rid of the outside stuff and maybe add 1 lens or body. I really, truly don't have plans to do Yellowstone with this set up but on any given daytrip end up using just about everything in the bag at least once. The Nature Trekkar seems like it gets me close except for the waist belt that can't be hidden for flights. Anything bigger than the Nature Trekkar in the LowePro line seems like it puts me at risk of not getting on the airplane at all. []. I guess now that I think about it I always still have the mini-trekkar as a fallback plan in that regard.