I'm in the market for a new backpack and there seem to be a number of quality backpacks these days with Kata, Lowepro, ThinkTank, Tamrac, etc. My dilemma is that I'm going to have to buy it sight unseen as there are no quality camera shops conveniently located except Calumet. Since they started building their own brand the retail store isn't carrying much inventory of other brands.

I've read most of the reviews available but I'm looking for recommendations from individuals who have some first hand knowledge. What's important to me is:
  • The capacity to carry my equipment.
  • Extra capacity for stuffing a shirt or two (I dress in layers so you know the drill), sandwich style lunch and a few beverages.
  • Comfort for the longer hikes (less than 10 miles)
  • Small enough for domestic air travel. (removable or concealable waist belt)
  • Laptop is purely optional

The equipment I always carry is: 40D, 70-200 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L, 17-40 f/4L, 100m f/2.8 macro, 100-400, 1.4 ext., Kenko Extension Tubes, 430ex, fliters and accessories. I have an extra body that I don't have room for and someday I plan to add a 135L.

Finding a bag with the equipment capacity is pretty easy from manufacturer specs. Bullet two is more vague in most reviews and bullet 3 is subjective.

Any recommendations you can provide would be appreciated.