Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 -55mm IS f2.8 Dust issue

17 -55mm IS f2.8 Dust issue

I bought the 17-55mm IS f2.8 based largely on careful consideration of reviews on this site. One thing mentioned on other forums, but not this one, is the dust problem inherent with this lens, that is: it has a propensity to collect dust internally. Never-the-less I purchased this lens and sure enough itarrived withhalf a dozen large specks of dust inside. Is it possible to comment on this within your review? There must be a serious design fault if the lens atracts dust like this.

Re: 17 -55mm IS f2.8 Dust issue

Quote Originally Posted by Liamisnowon

Never-the-less I purchased this lens and sure enough itarrived withhalf a dozen large specks of dust inside.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]Did you buy this lens new? I would send it back. Although not in Bryan's review, there have been several comments within the forums about dust in this lens. As far as I can remember, peety3was the only one here who actually had problems with dust and that was on a rented lens. I own this lens and have had no problems what-so-ever. Sorry to hear about your experience though. Make sure to let us know if your problem is resolved.

I, too, own this lens and use it for the majority of my work. While it's beensome timesince I've actually looked closely at the front element, I never noticed a dust problem and it sure as hell hasn't affected the picture quality even if it is there.

It's a fact, but not a problem. Even on the fixed-size zooms (70-200), Canon can't seal the lens completely without risk of lens smashing at altitude. On a telescoping lens, air must move in and out.

I've had problems with the 17-55, but not dust problems. I had issues with the IS unit acting up, particularly in combination with AI Servo AF, but also merely with a "rocking" viewfinder upon shutter half-press. See [View:http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/cano...-is/for-canon] for specifics.

What to do? Stick a filter on it. LensRentals.com is anti-filter in general, but puts a UV filter on every 17-55 lens. See [View:http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/filter-uv] for specifics.

In the end, don't worry about the dust. It's not going to affect your pictures. See [View:http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ent-scratches] for specifics.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    LensRentals.com is anti-filter in general, but puts a UV filter on every 17-55 lens.

Well, I have had a UV filter on my 17-55 f/2.8 from the get-go, so that could explain why I never noticed any dust inside the lens. Regardless, as you showed, dust won't degrade picture quality to any noticable degree.

Yeah, I've had mine since January, it didn't come with any dust inside that I could see, but now I have a few small flecks in there.

It's not something I'm worried about, I did know about it ahead of time also. I'm sure it hasn't affected any of my shots.

I also have experienced the VF jumping sometimes when the IS kicks in. I guess it happens more in AI Servo mode. Hasn't bugged me at all, though.
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by alex

I also have experienced the VF jumping sometimes when the IS kicks in. I guess it happens more in AI Servo mode. Hasn't bugged me at all, though.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

On at least one instance, evaluating a newly-arrived rental up in our "studio", with AI Servo active, I had continued issues. I was focusing on a dark gray, opaque window covering. It had folds in it, and was lit by a nearby ceiling fan/light, so it had contrast to work with. However, focus (on a 40D) didn't want to lock in, and IS was jerking left/right in conjunction with focus hunting in/out. LensRentals replaced the lens lickety-split.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Quote Originally Posted by Liamisnowon

Never-the-less I purchased this lens and sure enough itarrived withhalf a dozen large specks of dust inside.

Did you buy this lens new?I would send it back.

I agree. If this lens was bought new it's gotta go.

I've hadmy 17-55 2.8 exactly for 2 years and 2 months, use it indoors and out, no dust/AF/IS issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo

I agree. If this lens was bought new it's gotta go.

Wow. Half dozen dust specks that won't affect the images, and it's a reject? If that's what you want to do, go for it, but I think your expectations may be a bit higher than necessary.

With all due respect, this reminds me of a thread on POTN a while back where somebody (in Canada) bought an L lens from B&amp;H, shipped to a friend on the US (he'd drive across the border, grab the lens, and cross back to Canada). The corner of the lens carton was crumpled less than 1/4", if I remember correctly. Not only was he worried that the lens was damaged (an L lens...), but he wanted a pristine carton for his carton collection. His US-based friend sent him pictures of the carton, and he was debating whether to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    Wow. Half dozen dust specks that won't affect the images, and it's a reject? If that's what you want to do, go for it, but I think your expectations may be a bit higher than necessary.

I agree that those specks are not likely to affect the IQ, but my point is, if you shell out a G for a new lens it better be in good condition.