Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nifty 50 1.8 used as a macro?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

nifty 50 1.8 used as a macro?

I read somewhere that I can reverse this lens and it becomes a decent macro lens. But when I searched for reversing rings on B&H they were only FD mount. Can I mount it on a Rebel XT? Or is this a film camera only method?

Does anyone have example pictures?

Re: nifty 50 1.8 used as a macro?

Check out this DIY Project.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

There are mounts out there for EF cameras, so check other website's till you find it. Give ebay ago, last i checked they had heaps. If you have a choice between metal and plastic, it wont really matter much for your 50mm but get the metal anyway. then theres now chance of you snapping it by accident.

(sorry about the flash, wouldnt focus at all without it)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.64/Yessir.jpg[/img]

its actually a very sharp macro, just not very practical. Even the slightest movement will mean you have to refocus.

havent really had a chance to try it outside, but it does do its job if you macroing inside!

buy it anyway, its fun to muck around with and its cheap.

here be sample tape

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.64/GoodDaySir.jpg[/img]

ugurmebe, that is a cool shot. What kind of lens are you reversing?

cheers its the 24-105mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I read somewhere that I can reverse this lens and it becomes a decent macro lens.

Isn't it easier to justget some regular extension tubes? Also, when you do that,you don't espose the mount end of the lens (which is unsealed)to dust and other elements.

Well it's not easier at the moment because I already own the 50mm 1.8 lens. I was just curious about it. You make a good point about exposing the mount end. I don't know. Hopefully more people can pitch in on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I already own the 50mm 1.8 lens

Extension tubes will make a great addition to your 50 1.8

ugurmebe,

Thats a neat shot but my only fear would be using a zoom lens like that is the rear mount isdesigned to take the weight of the lens the front floatingpart of the lens is now holding up the rear. That to me needs to have a warning of "don't try this at home" if you asked me. I personally wouldn't subject my 24-105 to that stress.

Fred~

hey Fred,

i've worried about that myself, its one of the
    reasons i used it only twice. for those 2 instances i always tried wedging a small book under the lens to help relieve the stress on the front. still felt iffy though. it was more for the novelty of it than anything else