Thread: Lessons Learned--from an amatuer

Lessons Learned--from an amatuer

In these forums we are always getting great "what to do" advice from talented photographers and it is certainly appreciated. In this case, I thought i would share a lesson learned and "what not to do" I believe the photo below could have been one of those "great wildlife shots" had I just taken a split second to look at the shooting parameters at the bottom of my viewfinder. Unfortunately, I was so entertained by the birds, I forgot all about the camera settings which resulted in a bad shot of a great moment. I had just completed one shooting situation and was on the road hoping to find another, and I did. What I failed to do is re-establish my basic shooting parameters for the environment beforeleft the previous situation; The result was ISO too high, shutter speed to slow and aperture too narrow.Ultimately---just enough motion blur to hose the shot.

Shooting parameters: Canon 50D, 100-400L, ISO 400. 1/250th, F11

Lessons Learned: (1) Though you can't be prepared for every shooting situation, you can be prepared for the general shooting conditions. (2) Rather than making(significant) adjustments when you arrive at a new shooting situation.......Make adjustments when youcomplete the previous situation.

The name of this shot is "Entertaining the Ladies"

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/_5F00_MG_5F00_9808.JPG[/img]

Bob

Re: Lessons Learned--from an amatuer

I would hardly classify it as hosed. I think it's pretty cool. Maybe consider this though, I have 1 custom setting saved that's configured to get that once in a lifetime action shot should I ever need it. Bascailly, I went to AV mode set my aperature at f/4, ISO at 800, AlServo mode with all focus point active and Evaluative Meter mode on. Then I made sure mirror lockup was off, Exposure Bracketing was turned off and saved the Custom Setting. Now in the heat of the moment all I have to do is remember to turn the dial to C1, oh and at least for me, make sure autofocus is turned on. Obviously, if time permits I'll use setting best suited to the scene, but after having missed a few great action opportunities, I decided this at least improves my odds.

Re: Lessons Learned--from an amatuer

Great Idea, Thanks Don
    Bob